Forum Index > Gear Talk > Ultralight +15 Bag
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 7:31 am 
Looking to replace my 15 year old ultralight mummy. Considering all options incl blanket etc. # and comfort priority. Any solid advice for multi day use out there?

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 10:58 am 
I have been using a Feathered Friends Tanager for a couple of years now. It is a 20* bag and comes in at around 20 oz. They are zipperless with a wide top that taper down to a mummy bottom so a large body hiker might find them a bit restrictive. But I love mine and find 20* is plenty warm and can be supplemented with a light down jacket and insulated pants (that I carry anyway) if it is very cold. The top opening has a nice drawstring that makes it easy to seal the warm air in and makes it easy to get into and out of even when you are restricted in a hammock like I usually am.

snowmonkey
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 11:31 am 
I use a Feathered Friends Flicker 20 degree. Can be used as everything between a blanket, quilt, or headless sleeping bag. Available in combinations of wide and tall. Ill just wear a fleece or down Bennie depending on temperature. Its is getting more cold both my R1 fleece and down sweater have hoods, so I can stay warm as mummy with without all the restrictions of the mummy when rolling over if youre a side sleeper.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... ― Henry David Thoreau

snowmonkey
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 12:19 pm 
InFlight wrote:
I use a Feathered Friends Flicker 20 degree.
This would be my choice too.

snowmonkey
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 4:18 pm 
InFlight wrote:
Before I got my tanager I was using the Flicker 20* long-wide. I don't need a bag that large but I got one because I can put my xtherm R=6 inflatable pad right inside the bag with me. That solves a lot of problems of cold spots and rolling off them. But my tanager is almost 10 oz lighter so that is my go to bag now.

snowmonkey
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 5:46 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
InFlight wrote:
Before I got my tanager I was using the Flicker 20* long-wide. I don't need a bag that large but I got one because I can put my xtherm R=6 inflatable pad right inside the bag with me. That solves a lot of problems of cold spots and rolling off them. But my tanager is almost 10 oz lighter so that is my go to bag now.
Which would you take not in a Hammock, for a multi-day in Summer with variable altitudes?

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... ― Henry David Thoreau
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 6:40 pm 
InFlight wrote:
Which would you take not in a Hammock, for a multi-day in Summer with variable altitudes?
Well, both are 20 degree bags and the tanager is over half a pound lighter than the flicker. To answer your question, I have not used the flicker since I got the tanager several years ago and will probably end up selling it, unless someone in my family needs one. I also have a FF lark 10 degree bag I use in the early spring and late fall. I don't go out in the winter any more. As you have probably noticed I think Feathered Friends are the best bags made for the price.

huron

huron
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 7:32 pm 
Layering! I use an REI Magma quilt for summer and a FF Winter Wren which has arm holes and a center zip spring, fall and at altitude. When colder, I can combine any combination of the two bags and a down jacket. Both fit inside the generously sized Winter Wren and can be toasty into the lower teens. Weighs the same as a warmer bag and is more flexible. Before I got the Magma quilt I used one of those $20 Costco down blankets for legs and feet in colder temps. The layering also has the advantage of evening out the cold spots in a stitch-thru bag.

Opus, snowmonkey, Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 8:56 pm 
∆ Since you bring the layering approach up, I've always thought FF down booties are worth the weight. Keep your feet warm in camp and in bed too, for a handful of ounces.

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostWed Feb 28, 2024 12:34 am 
I'm a bootie fan as well. I like Cumulus, which is a sort of Polish Feathered Friends. Quite a bit cheaper than Feathered Friends if you buy a stock item. They make their money on customization, and you can quickly spec out a bag of ludicrous expense. As for style, my 3-season bag is a Cumulus xlite 300 with no zipper and extra fill. Similar to the Tanager but full length with a minimal hood. And I use one of their zero-degree bags anytime there is the slightest threat of a sprinkle.

Bargainhunter

Bargainhunter
PostWed Feb 28, 2024 12:33 pm 
I think two bags that layer might be more versatile. I bought a Feathered Friend's Rock Wren in the 90s (?) and got a Western Mountaineering Everlite about 10 years ago for my wife. I slept comfortably in 17F temps with one inside the other, wearing clothes. The Everlite is a superlight bag for warm temps, and the Rock Wren works for down to about freezing or so (haven't tested it recently). Both are very compact. I use them for relatively ultralight forays and reserve other cheaper "beater" bags for car camping etc. to reduce wear and tear on those two nicer $$$ bags.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Feb 28, 2024 3:10 pm 
Most people carry down layers anyway, so a big factor becomes ground insulation. I see people carrying big bulky therm-a-rest foldable Z-rest lite pads that weigh just under a pound and have an R=2 insulation value. Spend a little more money and you can get the neoAir Xtherm NXT that is a couple oz more and is R=7.3, which makes a huge difference in insulation value. Yes I know, they cost a couple hundred dollars more and can go flat on you. But a warmer bag is also a few more hundred dollars more and less versatile for different temperatures. Therm-a-rest pads have have come a long way in the past 10 years and are much more dependable. The slow leak problem is less frequent and you can easily field patch a puncture. Also, they have a great guarantee. If you have a failure they will usually just send you a new pad. Just saying.

Cyclopath
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 28, 2024 3:17 pm 
+1 for layering. Better to go with a lighter 3 season bag and supplement with down clothing and/or other insulation layers since probably you need those anyway to stay warm in camp.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Feb 29, 2024 6:34 pm 
Tom wrote:
+1 for layering. Better to go with a lighter 3 season bag and supplement with down clothing and/or other insulation layers since probably you need those anyway to stay warm in camp.
A big variable is how warm or cold you sleep. Im a cold sleeper so Im going to carry the extra weight of a 20 degree bag as a 3 season. Others are fine with a 30 or 40 degree bag. I agree that we should all have extra dry layers that we can use to extend the range of the bag on more colder evenings. Better insulation and ~3 inch of padding makes for a better night sleep than some 3/4 foam pad. But each to their own.

Gil
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Mar 12, 2024 9:50 pm 
Recently been seeing more industry thought leaders advocating for the cheapest bag possible just to add some weight/thickness, with a E BLANKET inside.