Forum Index > Trail Talk > Safety: Hiking alone
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DadFly

DadFly
PostTue Mar 12, 2024 7:08 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
DadFly wrote:
After eating 20 lbs of salmon and berries or any other food they tend to amble and be less aggressive. This is the case most of the year.
Could probably just carry a 20 pound bag of fish or whatever it likes. Once it goes RAH then you just drop the salmon and run. It'djust eat the fish!!
Actually, that is why I often hike with my wife.

"May you live in interesting times"

Now I Fly
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hutch

Hutch
PostTue Mar 12, 2024 10:49 am 
I worry much less about bears/cougars (been hiking regularly for 20 years and can count on one hand the times I've encountered one) than I do about falling and hurting myself. Took a wrong step and broke my ankle in 2022. Coincidentally and luckily it happened on the summit of one of the only hikes I've ever done that had a drivable road to the top Mount Erie in Anacortes so was able to get a ride straight to the ER. I think a lot about how bad that could have been if it had happened on one of those off-the-beaten path, see-nobody-all-day hikes I do from time to time.

Pyrites, Brian Curtis, FiveNines, dave allyn
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Mar 13, 2024 9:10 am 
I broke my ankle once by tripping and falling in my neighborhood (I'm not old) so I think about that constantly. I know there are first aid skills for this (taping) and I need to learn them.

idoru

idoru
PostWed Mar 13, 2024 9:50 am 
kiliki wrote:
I broke my ankle once by tripping and falling in my neighborhood (I'm not old) so I think about that constantly. I know there are first aid skills for this (taping) and I need to learn them.
Yeah, that's my biggest fear with regards to being mostly solo when I'm out. I've almost always been OK, but the most innocuous little ankle roll on a straightforward trail in the Mt. Margaret Backcountry last August stuck with me for over a month and prompted me to modify a couple of backcountry trips after that. Add to that that I'm only in my mid-30s but can feel my body getting older, and that's got me re-thinking the comfort level I've traditionally had with regards to my ability to remain uninjured. Oh, and then there's wanting to be prepared as I start bringing my young kiddos camping with me. So, yeah... probably taking a wilderness first aid course this spring just in case.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Mar 13, 2024 4:21 pm 
idoru wrote:
I'm only in my mid-30s but can feel my body getting older
Oh I don't want to alarm you but you ain't seen nothing till you reach your 70s. The trick is to slow down. I do that by reminding myself every morning as I break camp and monitor my progress. And whenever things get dicey scrambling or exposure, I really slow down and concentrate on every foot fall and hand placement. I no longer rely on athleticism or strength to recover from any potential mistake. In other words, I am much more attentive to staying upright and avoiding falls. Solo backpacking is still something I enjoy, I just have to dial it back. I take more breaks and am deliberate with snacks and water intake. I don't ever hike to exhaustion, always stopping with some gas in the tank. I've got lots of great memories of fantastic adventures and nothing to prove to myself or others. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Mountainfisherman, snowmonkey, meck, zimmertr, Waterman, reststep, dave allyn