Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > cookies
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 7:14 am 
to admin: Logged off and had flash screen show up stating I needed to enable cookies and some other aggrement clause for me to accept in order to use this site. I don't understand why you need to put cookies on my computer. I dislike the world knowing where I have been while surfing the internet, google already keeps track of me now every time I crap... Computer cookies are small files used by web servers to save browsing information, allowing websites to remember your device, browser preferences, and associated online activity. (norton)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 8:54 am 
That title is almost as misleading as putting raisins in what looks like Chocolate Chip Cookies. frown.gif Computer cookies I would have expected in the Support forum but not in a Saloon!

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 10:41 am 
The answer to the question in the first paragraph is in the second paragraph.

idoru

idoru
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 1:31 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
Logged off and had flash screen show up stating I needed to enable cookies and some other aggrement clause for me to accept in order to use this site.
Odd, this has never happened to me. It's especially odd given that it would ask you for permission after you've logged off - those types of prompts are usually in place to ask for your permission before you begin using the website.
Quote:
I don't understand why you need to put cookies on my computer. I dislike the world knowing where I have been while surfing the internet, google already keeps track of me now every time I crap...
Not all cookies are evil, many of them are necessary for the browsing you to do function properly and, it may surprise you, but cookies have been used at great length for ~30-ish years now. Some cookies are capable of tracking your browsing habits, yes, but other cookies do things like help keep you logged in. For instance, I'd wager that NWHikers doesn't use cookies that actively track you or your browsing habits but, if they didn't use cookies, you would never be able to stay logged in, and would have to provide a username and password every time you wanted to post.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 1:59 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
I don't understand why you need to put cookies on my computer
cdestroyer wrote:
Computer cookies are small files used by web servers to save browsing information, allowing websites to remember your device
How can the server log you in if it can't remember who you are? In order for the website to recognize you, it has to be able to recognize you.
cdestroyer wrote:
I dislike the world knowing where I have been while surfing the internet
Nwhikers doesn't tell the world where you've been. Tom and whoever else was involved in creating nwhikers did it right and respects users more than most websites.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 2:05 pm 
Did you get a GDPR notice? That seems unlikely since this is a US website... You can install an extension like Ghostery to stop 3rd party cookie tracking. (The modern Web is basically unusable without tracker and ad blocking...) But as noted above, you can't log into the site without a cookie being stored, so it's not feasible to block cookies altogether.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
idoru

idoru
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 2:13 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Nwhikers doesn't tell the world where you've been.
Well what the hell are Trip Reports for!? /s

Cyclopath
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 2:41 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
Logged off and had flash screen show up stating I needed to enable cookies and some other aggrement clause for me to accept in order to use this site.
Not sure we do that, could be some third party software. You don't necessarily need to enable cookies, the site will work without them. For those with cookies disabled we do our best to keep you logged in from page to page by adding your session id to the links as you navigate the site instead of a cookie to remember you, but you will get logged out if you navigate using a link that doesn't have your session id added or when you come back. If you change the font size it won't be able to remember that either. We may also display some general terms you need to agree to once, perhaps that's what you were seeing if you deleted your cookie. That said, I just tested deleting and disabling cookies and didn't get any notice, so probably some third party software on your computer. I was able to navigate the site, and it remembered my login, although eventually clicked on a link that didn't have the session ID added and I was logged out, so would recommend not disabling cookies. We don't do anything nefarious with them, they exist for your benefit. You can click on our privacy policy at the bottom right for more details.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 5:44 pm 
Do you have the site locked down when people are using query strings in the url? Meaning like if a user is impressed by a trip report and sends it to other people, with the sid in the link, those other people can't go and change your password or email address here if they're feeling trollish? I listen to too much Darknet Diaries. 🙂

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 6:15 pm 
That's one of the pitfalls of adding session IDs to links. There are some safeguards, but given the potential to create problems I've been tempted to just remove it entirely. It was common 20+ years ago for users to disable cookies and/or javascript, which is why the developers of the software put in workarounds for both, but these days the web is pretty much unusable without either.

Cyclopath
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 6:45 pm 
I've gone ahead and disabled it. Hopefully it doesn't create other login issues. This should fix another long standing issue with the software always adding your session ID to the landing page URL after login (let me know if you still ever see that occur). Presumably it needed to do that to accommodate users without cookies enabled, but it was really poorly implemented, as it would also do that for users with auto login enabled, which made no sense as obviously those users would have cookies enabled and only created a security risk.

Cyclopath
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 9:26 pm 
Interesting, just had one user contact me they can't login, so it seems there are still users out there with cookies disabled. I added a notice to the login screen that cookies need to be enabled to login if it detects they are disabled. I also did a database search and found roughly 100 posts containing links with session ids, so just seems a bad idea to re-enable that workaround to accommodate a handful of users with cookies disabled.

Josh Journey, Cyclopath, cdestroyer
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Mar 02, 2024 7:02 am 
most cookies are disable and had no trouble logging in...mmmm...software is quite often interesting..