Forum Index > Trail Talk > Who calls for rescue?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 7:26 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
solohiker

solohiker
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 11:45 pm 
Thatís a cool chart. A bit embarrassing that hiking/backpacking is such a needy group, but my take is that the chart is based on absolute numbers not percentage of total people involved in the activity. There are probably a greater number of hikers than most of the other activities, and a serious injury while several miles up a trailhead is more difficult to handle alone or with assistance of friends. Given Iím also a sailor I take pride in the fact that sailing calls for help are significantly fewer than all boaters.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone

D. Inscho
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Mar 02, 2024 12:27 am 
It is an interesting chart but it is a listing of Garmin InReach calls. I would assume that most distress calls by sailors and boaters are either by locator beacons or vhf radios. I am a little surprised by the number of driver calls but realize I usually carry on in the truck for trips where cell coverage is difficult.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

seawallrunner
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Mar 02, 2024 10:23 am 
solohiker wrote:
A bit embarrassing that hiking/backpacking is such a needy group
Keep in mind though the data comes from Garmin, and hikers are much more likely to have one. It's really interesting data, but it's not a random sample.

solohiker

solohiker
PostSat Mar 02, 2024 12:20 pm 
Most sailors (at least cruisers, not necessarily day sailors) have Garmin, and bikers that do long distances do as well. I canít really speak for the other enthusiasts. In fact I have Garmin on the boat and my bike, but donít carry one hiking. That said MC is correct. Boater distress calls (whether sailing or otherwise) are generally made to Coast Guard on VHF, not using Garmin Inreach. But point well taken about sample make up. A high % of the hiking population is likely to have Garmin as well as the ease of hiking without purchasing a lot of gear (other than Garmin!) means there are a lot more hikers out there than other activities.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone

Cyclopath
NorthwestWanderer

NorthwestWanderer
PostSat Mar 02, 2024 1:57 pm 
solohiker wrote:
Thatís a cool chart. A bit embarrassing that hiking/backpacking is such a needy group, but my take is that the chart is based on absolute numbers not percentage of total people involved in the activity. There are probably a greater number of hikers than most of the other activities, and a serious injury while several miles up a trailhead is more difficult to handle alone or with assistance of friends. Given Iím also a sailor I take pride in the fact that sailing calls for help are significantly fewer than all boaters.
Hiking/Backpacking is the cheapest to do out of all those rich kid activities + you are always hiking before you go climbing.

My Hiking Youtube Channel

Comma, SpookyKite89
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm 
solohiker wrote:
Given Iím also a sailor I take pride in the fact that sailing calls for help are significantly fewer than all boaters.
I am guessing that you haven't visited Grenada or the ABC's recently. eek.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Mar 02, 2024 6:09 pm 
Pirates are real and they are neither nice, romantic, or kind or funny like Johney Depp or Errol Flynn. They deserve the way they have been historically treated.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Mar 04, 2024 9:58 am 
When I was in SMR a lot of our missions were due to out of shape people hiking uphill to some goal, making it after considerable suffering, then blowing out a knee or ankle on the way down. They thought of the downhill part as easy. There was a failure to consider the considerably higher forces on their joints pounding downhill.

"May you live in interesting times"

NorthwestWanderer
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Mar 07, 2024 12:33 am 
The reason the hikers is so high is due to the 800k+ "influencer" crowd. At the 800k+ level it starts to makes business sense to just pay to get rescued vs hike out because of how much time is saved.

Gil

Gil
PostThu Mar 07, 2024 10:16 am 
A useful graph would be a ratio of calls for help / users of InReach, by use. Otherwise, it's kind of pointless.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini

ejain
solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Mar 07, 2024 10:41 am 
It depends what you want to use it for. If you want information on % of participants in a wide variety of activities that end up contacting Inreach for assistance then yeah, you need that ratio to calculate %. But if you just want to know where Inreach gets most of its calls, maybe for marketing reasons, itís useful as it is. If you did a survey and only 3 kayakers answered, with only one of them ever using Inreach, while 30,000 hikers answered and 10,000 of them used Inreach they would both show 33.3% usage. But marketers and product developers would be more interested in the 10,000 vs 1 than the equal percentages.