Forum Index > Trip Reports > Red Mountain - 7/31/02
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Jul 31, 2002 6:57 pm 
This one starts at the PCT trailhead at Snoqualmie Pass, elevation 3020'. One can connect with the Commonwealth Basin trail using the PCT or by using the now abandoned trail that leads up from the parking lot adjacent to the main parking area (the one with the horse ties). Either way works fine, although the abandoned route is probably a bit more direct. Red Mountain yields views of the many Snoqualmie Pass peaks, but my personal favorite are the views into the upper MFK valley. I only had 7 hours to kill before I had to be back in Seattle; Red seamed like a reasonable trip with which to fill this slot. I ascended the PCT then intersected the Commonwealth Basin trail which drops 50' or so before taking you up 1100' to Red Pond and the base of Red Mountain. There is still snow around the pond, but it is completely thawed. The slopes of Red Mountain and the higher ground up toward Lundin Peak are all completely snow free. From the pond, I headed directly up the west face traversing left and right as obstacles required. The entire route can be done as class 2 although there is tougher rock if you want it. I just kept heading up until I hit the short summit ridge and from there it was an easy walk to the highest rock. It took 2 hours car to summit. No register was found. It should be noted that the last 200' to the top is littered with large, loose rocks and the nature of the mountain is such that these fall right down the most obvious line to the summit without an obstruction to stop them. On the way down I found the trail that leads down the SW face and ends up meeting the main trail at about 4900'; however, it gets lost in brush just before the intersection and is pretty difficult to find if you're not looking for it. I used the abandoned trail for my route out which has a couple blowdowns and two creek crossings, but overall is in fine shape and easy to follow. Stats: 4 hours car to car, 9 miles, 3000' of gain.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message