Forum Index > Trip Reports > Point 5547', Iron Cap Mountain, Tourmaline Peak, Atrium Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Aug 04, 2002 1:43 am 
This was quite the adventurous outing and fairly tiresome as a day trip. Nonetheless, it was a great outing and with great company. The trip was taken on Saturday, August 3rd. We left the Foss river trailhead at 7:15 and made our way up past Trout Lake and then after a creek crossing and some wet brush we arrived at Delta Lake. From Delta we walked up to Otter Lake where just before we got to the lake we gained the ridge to the west. This involved a lot of maneuvering between rocks and brush, but nothing that doesn't go. Five hours after leaving the truck, we made the summit of Point 5547' which is the high point between Otter and Angeline lakes. From this high point, we headed south between Azurite and Angeline lakes and then just east of Azure Lake. A bench system and a lot of talus led us to the shores of "Iron Cap Lake". We rounded the lake and made a direct ascent of the mountain via the lakes SE shore. A large snowfield or talus slope was used to gain the summit ridge and from there it was an easy walk to the top of Iron Cap Mountain, 2.5 hours from Point 5547'. The views from the top were quite incredible. From Iron Cap, we walked its west ridge then traversed just to the north of Point 6077'. We then glissaded down toward Chetwoot Lake and walked the heather and rock gardens over to Little Chetwoot Lake where we found the first "real" trail since leaving Otter Lake. We ascended this trail up and to the NW to somewhere near Point 5482'. Here, Craig was most interested in a nap (I don't blame him!), so Mike and I headed up the easy talus slopes to the top of Tourmaline. Just as I reached the summit the weather system we had been eyeing since Iron Cap moved in and socked in the entire summit area. Oh well. Mike and I made it back down to Craig (now in a deep sleep) at 5:45. Mike headed out for the next peak while I stayed back and wrestled Craig from his nap. The three of us met up shortly after and after a little hiking on a nice trail we were able to claw our way up to our last summit of the day, Atrium Peak (Point 5359') which is the high point between Big Heart and Angeline lakes. From here we had only a lot of trail miles between us and some needed sleep. We followed the up and down trail to Little Heart Lake and then on to Copper Lake. A mile or so down the trail from Copper, darkness overcame us and the last few miles of trail were "headlamped". We packaged the trip into a 15 hour day. Overall, a great loop trip with amazing scenery. Lakes and tarns around every corner and numerous fun peaks to climb.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dave Weyrick

Dave Weyrick
PostSun Aug 04, 2002 8:29 pm 
Randy, for us salivating fishermen.....what were the ice conditions on the lakes you saw?

If I'd known ya was gonna use bait I wouldn't a brought ya!
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Aug 05, 2002 8:55 am 
No problem... Trout, Delta, Otter, Bonnie, Azurite, Azure, Ivanhoe, Big Heart, Copper, Little Heart, Little Chetwoot, Angeline and all the various tarns and pots that could be fish holders were 100% thawed. With all the southern exposure this area has, everything apparently melts out really early even with the above average snowfall. "Iron Cap Lake" - 0% thawed and going nowhere fast. Tank(s) - 10% thawed Crawford - 40% thawed Chetwoot - 75% thawed If I missed one let me know.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Aug 05, 2002 9:41 pm 
A shot of Iron Cap from just above Azure.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Aug 05, 2002 10:53 pm 
Aw, c'mon Randy how about some goodies like Iron Cap Lake wink.gif.