Forum Index > Pacific NW History > FS Mt Baker first ascent account
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mike

mike
PostTue Dec 28, 2004 9:06 pm 
On one of my bookshelves I've come across some copies of the account of the first recorded ascent of Mt Baker. This first appeared in the Nov 1869 issue of Harper's New Monthly Magazine. E.T. Coleman and company started from Victoria, BC and canoed through the San Juans to Bellingham Bay. From there they headed up into the country of the Nootsak (sic). I believe from reading the narrative that they bushwacked up the Middle Fork of the Nooksack and climbed the mountain from that side. Quite an undertaking for the time and a very entertaining read if you like this sort of thing. The article has lots of interesting history and is well illustrated. Harper's was the Nat'l G. of its day. Anyway I have multiple copies of the original issue of Harper's that have been removed from bound volumes so they don't have the covers but otherwise are complete and of course have the entire Mt Baker article. Pages are brown with age and a bit brittle but perfectly readable. I'm asking $30 ppd. PM if interested.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Jan 02, 2005 6:48 am 
About Mt. Baker First Climb
http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=7088 Not sure if this link will be clickable. You may need to cut/copy/paste it into your address box. Gosh! People have been backpacking around here for a very long time.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message