Forum Index > Gear Talk > Disintegrating gear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jan 22, 2002 11:35 pm 
So I was just out downhill skiing today, and it went pretty well considering I haven't been on skis but once in the last five seasons. I should say it was going fine until the shell of my left boot cracked in half for no reason, by the time I got to the bottom of the hill (thankfully I had just gotten off the bunny chair which I'd taken to do the traverse over to the big chair without walking) the shell had disintegrated in big chunks, culminating in the sole coming off when I popped the boot out of the binding. The other boot has a big crack in the shell and would have proably disintegrated too given the chance. Pretty weird! They were pretty high end boots, 6 seasons old, skied on one season and then stored indoors since then. Anyone have this experience before? Anyone know what causes it? I am hoping the manufacturer will take care of me, we shall see. Am looking to pick up some used alpine gear cheap or to borrow thru the end of the season, need a 170cm parabolic ski (2, actually) and some reasonably stiff boots in a size 26. Anyone out there able to he'p?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Jan 23, 2002 6:52 am 
I had a pair disintegrate like that, but not while on the snow. The old type of plastic, the gray boots without color, didn't do well with abrupt changes in temperature. So if you went from the snow into a lodge and then walked on them they broke apart into so many pieces. Had you just started out on the slopes, your first run?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jan 23, 2002 8:28 am 
Not the first run of the day, no, but returning from being inside. These boots were only about 6 or 7 years old. It was not horrendously cold yesterday either.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 5:40 pm 
Allison, you might want to try the Salvation Army or St. Vincent DePaul stores. I have some friends that have found almost brand new ski boots there for prices in the $15.00 range.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSat Jan 26, 2002 8:29 pm 
All Nylons are not created equal. Perhaps the manufacturer used a material that was not resistant to weathering in order to reduce cost. UV light, thermal cycling, and ingress of water can all degrade plastics.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Jan 26, 2002 8:34 pm 
Rich, that's interesting. I wonder what other factors can degrade plastics. This particular pair of boots was stored indoors in a dark closet for their whole lives, and were never treated badly save for not getting enough use!

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 8:47 pm 
Contamination can be harmful to plastics. Possibly salt or some industrial chemical used to melt ice? There are also bacteria and fungi that eat some plastics, though I wouldn't put that highest on the suspect list in this case.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 9:32 pm 
Per the snowshoe recall notice just pointed you can see what happens when a mfr uses a different material. Could be they didn't test it enough or one of their suppliers changed the recipe without notifying them. Same thing could possiblyl have happened to the ski boot?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 7:03 pm 
The mfr apparently was taking this boot back for a while but now they are not any more. I think it was probably a similar dealie to the 'shoe thing. So, my retailer couldn't help me out with this regrettably, but even though the mfr is no longer taking them back, there is nothing stopping me from giving them back to them, which is exactly what I have done. They are in the mail.