Forum Index > Links > Mt. St Helens Photos
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostThu Jan 20, 2005 12:00 am 
For anyone thats interested in checking out current pictures of Mt. St Helens. The USGS has a site and has been posting hi res pics sense the recent activity back in October. Heres the link: http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/MSH/Images/MSH04/ Enjoy!
MSH05 new dome from south 01-14-05 med
MSH05 new dome from south 01-14-05 med

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AJ Montgomery
Hairfree fotografer

AJ Montgomery
Hairfree fotografer
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 11:01 am 
Natural, are you a fan, too? I follow the St. Helens thing fairly closely. As a matter of fact, I posted a while back, https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7275 , seeking to get others photos and opinions of the recent activity as well as that from years past. I have embedded the webcam on PSAP and have downloaded the entire archive from the official site, in case they ever pull the plug on it.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 2:03 pm 
I frequently check out the St. Helens Volcano Cam. When you get a glimpse of the mountain it's a great scene. I understand the technical/budget reasons why, but it's a pity there isn't a camera in place that will stay in focus in low light, when the mountain is seen in some of the most dramatic light. But having all these cams on things of interest around the world and being able to monitor them from your own computer is one of the best things about the internet!

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostSat Jan 22, 2005 9:21 pm 
You got that right AJ Montgomery, I've been hooked ever sense it's first eruption. I've been down there a number of times and have always been blown away by the mass destruction that was caused by it's first eruption. Thanks for the heads up on your site and all of the other goodies.

AJ Montgomery
Hairfree fotografer

AJ Montgomery
Hairfree fotografer
PostSun Jan 23, 2005 12:20 am 
Nice to know that I am not the only St. Helens freak! I dig the history and devastation as well as the rebound since the blow. I, too, have been there many times, each one still powerful and awe inpiring to me. I can walk through the visitor centers, watch the films and see the sites over and over again, never getting burned out with them. I even have a few of the DVD's that have been released of the whole thing!

JimK

JimK
PostSun Jan 23, 2005 10:18 am 
The summit hike and looking down on the lava dome are quite impressive. What I found to be equally amazing was a hike to Mt. Margaret via Norway Pass in 1989. In the last 15+ years the area has begun to recover. Back then the devastation was tremendous. Hillsides of downed trees with all bark and branches burned off. Nothing green and growing was higher than my knees. I'm glad I took a camera back then. North Side Devastation

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostSun Jan 23, 2005 3:35 pm 
If you guys haven't hiked to the summit under a full moon with a summit sunrise, you've been ripping yourselves off.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSun Jan 23, 2005 11:55 pm 
That unfortunately will be the case until St Helens decides to simmer down. frown.gif