Forum Index > Food & Grub > cookless
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newman

Newman
PostTue Feb 01, 2005 8:31 pm 
hey hey! i have been doing some reading lately, and thinking about how i can get my base pack weight down for the summer. i have done most everything i can to go ultralight, and wanted to take it a step further and possibly go cookless. any of you do this? if so, what do you eat? how has it worked? any details are appreciated. i have done this on a few overnighters, eating lots of Goo, and trail mix and such, but for a multi day trek, i have never done it. do you get enough calories? are you eating crap all day? let's hear it! thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Feb 01, 2005 8:36 pm 
<Beating my chest> Visit my website <ahem> and see that you can eat good and not be a total wanker biggrin.gif Hehheh..... Really, I tried the Super Lightweight Wanker Way and ended up on the last day basically hallicinating for 10 miles about food. paranoid.gif Psssttttt...my link is in my sig line.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 2:24 am 
the few times i have gone stoveless, i ate summer sausege and cheese. if your out for more than an overnighter, i dont think going cookless will save you any weight. ANY type of premade foods will weigh more than a freeze dried meal. and alcohol stoves can weigh as little as a tenth of an ounce... my whole cook system only weighs 7.5 ounces(without feul) and i'll never leave home without it..again..

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 5:50 am 
even the great ray jardine, master of the ultralight phenomenon, cooks on the trail although he likes cooking over fires instead of stoves....

salish

salish
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 8:49 am 
I sometimes go cookless on an overnighter, just bringing a sandwich for dinner and bagel for breakfast. But I always take some type of stove because I'm addicted to my morning coffee.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 9:19 am 
Trout sashimi in the morning mmmmmmmmmmmmm wub.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 10:11 am 
Most of the freeze dried dinners will rehydrate without hot water. They just take longer (add water at noon if you want to eat the meal for dinner). I suppose if you got tired of eating landjaegger, cheese, and nuts you could rehydrate a Mountain House entree and eat it cold. Also consider, if you aren't carrying a stove and you aren't planning on rehydrating food and eating it cold - you're carrying all of the water weight of your food. That's not a big deal on an overnight, but it certainly would be on longer trips. I read somewhere that the guy who started GoLight usually eats cold. It certainly works for him. Personally, I like my hot meal at night and my coffee in the morning.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
WTCrocker

WTCrocker
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 10:35 am 
Many Native Americans carried pemmican as trail food. basicaly gorp packed in Crisco. I suspect they would have chosen Mountain House if it had been available. I would rather leave out my sleeping bag and sleep in my coat that do without coffee. (Which I have done before, sometimes on purpose).

This the year!!
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 10:42 am 
jenjen wrote:
I suppose if you got tired of eating landjaegger
eek.gif Is this possible? Seriously, my friends and I used to take English muffins, cheese and those packages of lunch meat, which was good eating. They weighed much more than freeze-dried, though.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 2:36 pm 
I don't think I'd last very long without hot food.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 3:27 pm 
We had another thread like this not too long ago. Can't find it becuase our search engine sucks! for multiday trekking bring Little Smokies. Damn good. don't need refridgeration even after three days. cheese can also go several days in the pack. the only problem is noodles. I like wet noodles in the backcountry. I can't get decent wet noodles without a stove. other foods-bring bulk apple slices or banana chips. They are usually fine. I have gone stoveless and it is great. You just have to find really tasty food that lasts long. And that means it usually has sulfides or lotsa sugar on it, or even salt and vinegar. Sauerkraut will last forever.

Art is an adventure.
solohiker

solohiker
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 4:28 pm 
Stefan wrote:
We had another thread like this not too long ago. Can't find it becuase our search engine sucks!
I think you mean stoveless

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 4:31 pm 
Cookless? I always bring a cook along, and sometimes a dishwasher. hmmm.gif

Blake

Blake
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 10:37 pm 
marylou wrote:
I don't think I'd last very long without hot food.
A lot of the PCT guys i talked to last summer were stoveless. I'm with you though, i'd have a tough time keeping going day after day without a hot meal or at least a warm drink.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 10:38 pm 
Tom wrote:
Cookless? I always bring a cook along, and sometimes a dishwasher. hmmm.gif
Das right masta Thomas, das right. Ah bees yo dishwasha. TB doh.gif moon.gif lol.gif doh.gif moon.gif lol.gif doh.gif moon.gif lol.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln