Forum Index > Gear Talk > Questions for the Fisherfolk
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue Aug 20, 2002 10:57 am 
I love these threads because I learn so much from you guys about how you fish. I do one thing that I think is pretty particular to myself and it works pretty well with cutthroat-I fill a large casting bubble-obviously so that it sinks and use Pautzke eggs and essentially troll it back to me. I use the casting bubble rather than lead because I can cast it a mile and it gets hung up less on stuff on the bottom The key is movement, I let the thing sink, maybe to the bottom-often I get strikes as its sinking, then retrieve. The negative feature of using eggs is the possibility of catching small fish, so I try to stalk the larger ones, looking for fish cruising shorelines or feeding on the surface-I'll try to drop it right on fish that are breaking the water-it seems like the fish figure that another fish is getting fed so they come to investigate-I think they strike because they're mad, too. I like to use Kastmasters,too-particularly the gold colored ones. My favorite way to cook fish is in aluminum foil-in fact I'm on tap tonight to cook some on the BBQ at home-one way that I've cooked them is to skewer them like a hot dog with a green stick.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostTue Aug 20, 2002 12:43 pm 
RainierRidgeRunner wrote:
. . . I casted a spoon and caught my daddy's cheek prior to release. eek.gif rolleyes.gif mad.gif
Hey--I did that too! After a failed attempt to cut the barb off with fingernail clippers (always bring dikes or a multitool) he made me cut it out of his cheek with his pocket knife eek.gif Good thing it was sharp. My dad took me fishing again, though biggrin.gif I haven't fished in a long time. I was just thinking about getting a compact, lightweight spinning rig, but the mortality thing's giving me second thoughts. The single barbless hook alternative seems like a good compromise. I have no interest in fly fishing. I only want to eat them or bring them home so my wife (who REALLY loves fresh trout) can do so.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message