Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Big bear poop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostWed Aug 21, 2002 9:27 am 
I shouldn't put this near the "What do You Eat?" thread, but there's no Catwoman's Outhouse department. We were on a steep, obscure trail on Tiger Mountain yesterday. Near the trail, we spotted some big scat. Two mold covered turds, each 3 inch diameter and 7 or 8 inches long, with the uniform color and consistency of light brown modeling clay. We were trying to figure out what the bear had been eating. Given the well-digested character, the size, and age that looked to be five or six months, we figured this must be a coming-out-of-hibernation dump. Anyone other suggestions? Has anyone else seen scat like this?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Odonata

Odonata
PostWed Aug 21, 2002 10:10 am 
found this with a quick google search. I like the tip to use a stick when examining scat in the wild.http://www.bearsmag.com/articles/whatscat.html. As a dog owner, this caught my eye http://ibscore.dbs.umt.edu/journal/articles_all/2000/Hurt.htm. One more trick to teach the dog.

Alpine Sam

Alpine Sam
PostSun Aug 25, 2002 7:55 pm 
I've noticed a big reduction in scat lately.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Aug 25, 2002 9:48 pm 
Those bears seem to have better, er, better acommodations than we've got and reading material to boot--is that a copy of the High Bear Nation that he's reading? I wonder if his mountain bike is parked nearby?

salish

salish
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 7:07 pm 
Large Pile?
I'm certainly no expert on scataology, but I have seen a fair number of piles of BB scat in my time, and it seems like the size of these turds may be a little large for a black bear. The black bear scat I've seen is usually smaller in length and diameter. I wonder if this could be a very large bear, or maybe a bear with a huge garbage can diet? Were you able to determine if there were any seeds in the turds? Interesting.....

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Scatology_expert

Scatology_expert
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 7:36 pm 
Scat analysis is an art in itself. If you run across scat again, I recommend taking a closer look. Pick some of it up, rub it into your palms, is it very moist or dry? How does it smell? Take a good look at the color and texture. Look for bone and goretex. Hang on a sec...yes dear...okay Now put some in your mouth between your cheek and gums. Uh-oh don't do that last part...got two post mixed up. lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster