Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rampart Lakes, 8/26/02
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 8:29 pm 
I'd been to Rachel and Lila Lakes, but never to Rampart Lakes so I thought they would make a good Monday destination. I loaded up my day pack, food, water, fleece shirt....hmmm....where was my fleece shirt. Oh yes, I'd left it in my car. Wool sweater, hat, and then hit the road and stopped at the Texaco at exit 34 so this wouldn't happen again. I got to the trailhead a little after 10:00 and started hiking. There were a few cars in the lot and I ran into about 10 people on their way out on the way up to Rachel Lake. The trail was in good shape. There was hardly any water in falls that are halfway up the steep section, but enough to splash my face. There were hardly any bugs at Rachel Lake, and a breeze was blowing. I think it is always blowing at Rachel Lake, no? I ate a sandwich, drank some water, and headed up the trail. When I got to the ridge my shirt was pretty wet and I was wishing I'd brought another one. "Oh well, I'll get my fleece," I thought. But as I opened my pack, I realized that my fleece was in my car at the parking lot protecting it from hypothermia. I had to settle for my wool sweater. Scratch, scratch, scratch. This must be called dumb wool. Certainly not the soft smart stuff my socks are made of. No wonder sheep don't mind being sheared. Who'd want all that scratchy stuff on them? The Rampart Lakes are an incredible place to wander around. Little hidden lakes all over and the fog would dip in and create neat effects. My favorite lake for lounging had a small waterfall and rock shelf bordering it. There were a couple of people camped at the lakes and a couple more on the rocks above. The only wildlife I saw were a couple chipmunks and some grasshoppers. The way back was pretty uneventful. I ran into a couple of people who had read the same article I had on the possibility of using catnip as a mosquito repellant, but since I really haven't run into any mosquitos this year (just like last year) I doubt that I will need to test it. biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 9:54 am 
What do they call people who use catnip as bug repellant? Itchy and scratchy! rolleyes.gif Better living through chemistry..... up.gif Seriously though... you only saw two parties camped up top? That's pretty loney for the Ramparts, I'm surprised.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 6:55 pm 
I kind of have visions of BIG KITTYS eek.gif following you around.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 8:25 pm 
Here is the info on catnip. Note that it mentions it hasn't really been studied as far as adverse reactions humans might have that use it. That includes big kitties tailing you. I'd use DEET until they figure it all out. There is another plant called bearnip which is also being studied. I think Noah could have nipped this problem in the bud along time ago. Mosquitos have to be pretty bad for me to use DEET, though, because I hate the smell and oily feel of it. I'd almost just as soon be bitten. Almost. If you do this moon.gif fast enough, the mosquitos get really mad.gif