Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chain Lakes-Doelle Lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostThu Aug 29, 2002 11:32 am 
I have wanted to hike here for a long time, so off I go to the trailhead at Icicle Creek, a longer but easier? way in? Great weather at the start with a nice cool breeze. The Icicle Creek trail as you all know is flat almost all the way to the Chain Lakes turnoff with just a few short switchbacks 1mi. from the junction. But after you make the right turn on the Chain Lakes trail the fun starts. At first there are switchbacks then Very Steep semi-switchbacks and the SECOND you stop to rest-this happens alot, they swarm all over you and dig in. About 1.5 mi. from the first lake the sound of thunder echos from across the valley with a small smoke plume coming off a peak to the south. At the lakes the bugs are worse, but what a beautiful place!!!! There are not that many campsites here but the ones available are great. On Sunday I went over the pass to Doelle Lakes which are also beautiful. And I saw only 3 other hikers!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Liar

Liar
PostThu Aug 29, 2002 3:10 pm 
I warned you, and you wouldn't listen....

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostThu Aug 29, 2002 3:45 pm 
Add on to my trail report
I got flashbacks about all the bugs on this trip, and in my trail report I said :"they swarm all over you" I meant the deer flys,gnats,skeeters,no-seeums,and sabertoothed chunkbiting mountain flys.

JimK

JimK
PostThu Aug 29, 2002 4:48 pm 
"sabertoothed chunkbiting mountain flys" Wow!! And I thought the normal black flies were bad....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Liar

Liar
PostThu Aug 29, 2002 6:13 pm 
That's more like it Leaddog. Quit candycoating the place. It's a terrible place. Here is a pic of bugs typical of Chain/Doelle...
monster fly
monster fly

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Aug 29, 2002 9:06 pm 
Ha ha! Lead Dog, and you know they would have been feasting on ME, if I'd have gone! Oh, by the way, I'm working at an event in Mt Vernon on Sept. 7, so won't be able to go with you on the trip that weekend, either. Sorry!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostFri Aug 30, 2002 11:23 am 
Sabertoothed mountain flys
Hey Lair. I don"t know how you got such a good picture of a sabertoothed mountain fly, but be advised that that picture is of a baby fly, the adults are much bigger and alot meaner.