Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Rating USFS properties
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Apr 17, 2005 11:08 am 
Quote:
U.S. forests look for sites to close down The budget takes money away from parks' facilities to finance thinning flammable forestland Tuesday, April 12, 2005 MICHAEL MILSTEIN Your favorite national forest campsite will soon be competing for its survival, while the ranger station down the road may show up for sale on the Internet. The U.S. Forest Service is ranking recreation sites such as campgrounds and trailheads for closure, because it can no longer afford to maintain them all. Oregon's Deschutes and Winema national forests are among the first nationwide to undertake the reviews. The squeeze is driven in part because President Bush's Healthy Forest Initiative, a push to thin flammable Western forests, is diverting money away from the upkeep of forest facilities. The Forest Service is also attempting to sell offices and compounds that bustled during the logging heyday decades ago but now sit idle. Its officials hope cash from the sales will help keep other decaying facilities from falling apart. The moves underscore hard choices facing the Forest Service in the agency's centennial year. Its vast network of rural offices and the most well-used array of campgrounds and other recreation facilities in the country must shrink in line with budget cuts by the administration and Congress. "Tradeoffs were made to keep the priority on hazardous fuels," said Hank Kashdan, Forest Service budget chief. "The budget is tight, and we had to make tough calls and tradeoffs to keep the priority on other programs." The public may not notice sales of scattered ranger housing, offices and warehouses around the West. Most of the properties lie outside national forest boundaries. But two inside national forests are being considered for sale because they lie next to holdings that are already private, officials say. One of the more potentially valuable is a Washington ranger district complex covering about 35 acres on the south side of Lake Wenatchee in the Okanogan and Wenatchee national forests. Like many offices, it was emptied by consolidations as federal logging declined over the past two decades. There may be more obvious changes in the 2,635 campgrounds, boat ramps, picnic areas and other recreation sites in Oregon and Washington national forests, and the roughly 16,000 such sites nationally. None will be sold. But all national forests have been directed to put those sites through a rating system by 2007 that will assess their costs, popularity and how closely they match what each forest designates its "niche" audience. Those ranking lowest may be shut, have their seasons trimmed or have services, such as garbage collection, cut back to bring spending in line with budgets dropping by millions of dollars a year. Some suspicious of motives "It is likely that most forests will have to make tough decisions to close some sites, curtail operations at other sites and decommission some sites in order to define a sustainable program," former Deputy Chief Tom Thompson wrote to regional foresters last month. Others see darker motives. Starving the agency of cash forces it to keep only the most lucrative sites and run public lands like a commercial enterprise, they say. "They will close those sites the public has always enjoyed but which they cannot afford because they are not profitable," said Scott Silver of the Bend group Wild Wilderness. "It's the complete perversion of the meaning of public lands." The review approaches national forests as a marketing expert might. It directs forest staff to focus on their "recreation niche" or their forest's main attraction to the public. A forest might identify its leading draw as white-water rafting, for instance, or backcountry hiking, said Kimberly Evart Bown, regional director of recreation, lands and minerals. Its recreation sites will then be rated on how closely they match that niche. A campsite or boat launch along a river might rate high, while unrelated sites might fall lower. In the end, a computer will rank sites based on factors such as how well they fit the forest niche, their importance to local economies and whether they duplicate services offered by nearby private facilities. Those ranking highest are first in line for funding. "We don't have the money to sustain them all anymore, and we're trying to make sure our facilities best serve people who use them," Bown said. Sites run by commercial concessionaires under contract with the government will be protected from cutbacks. Few forests have completed the review, so it's unclear how many sites will be affected. But the erosion of money, despite added recreation fees imposed in recent years, suggest it could be many. Oregon's Deschutes and Winema national forests started the assessments last year. They weighed costs such as of cleaning bathrooms and repairing picnic tables and water systems against the money they get to pay for it. "If we can't do all that to standard, we have to shut them down," said Rich Kehr of the Winema National Forest in Klamath Falls. "There's a significant number of sites we are considering closing." Forests will draft blueprints for how they will cut back sites to stay within their budget. They will then seek public input on the plans, and look for local groups that might help maintain sites to keep them open. It's a more reasoned approach than struggling each year with ever-tightening budgets, said Kathy Ludlow, a recreation analyst with the Forest Service's regional office in Portland. "We'll lay out a clear picture to the public about what we're facing," she said. "We want their ideas, too." Forest recreation money shrinks One aim of cutting facilities is to head off a long list of needed repairs that forests have repeatedly postponed. Backlogged repairs at recreation sites in Washington and Oregon cost $42 million, almost double what the Forest Service got in 2005 just to run the sites. Forest campgrounds tucked along shady streams and elsewhere account for about three-quarters of the maintenance backlog, according to federal figures. Funding for forest recreation in the Northwest also sunk by 14 percent since 2004 to less than $25 million in the president's 2006 budget proposal. Trail maintenance dropped 24 percent to about $7 million. The Bush administration plans to cut money for maintaining all Forest Service facilities nationally by 46 percent, from $218 million last year to $118 million. Programs within the Forest Service would have to begin paying to maintain their office space. A goal of the shift is to make the programs more accountable, so they eliminate unnecessary space and cut costs further. The administration also hopes to offset funding drops with new legislation letting the Forest Service sell unneeded administrative facilities such as offices and housing. It would expand on permission Congress gave in 2001 to sell as many as 10 properties each year. Public sites such as campgrounds would not be candidates. Instead, sales would target properties such as three houses in Sweet Home built in the 1950s where employees of the Willamette National Forest once lived. Some are advertised for sale on the Internet. The inventory of buildings "made sense 40 years ago, but it doesn't make sense today," said Richard Sowa, director of engineering for the Forest Service's Pacific Northwest region. Forest Service staff in the Northwest has dropped by almost half since 1990. "We just can't afford to keep up everything we have," Sowa said. Selling excess buildings would raise an estimated $45 million in fiscal 2006 to help pay for keeping up remaining buildings, Kashdan said. It would also take aging buildings off the federal roster, reducing their drain on the budget. Any sales would be subject to review to be sure the buildings are not considered historic. In the Northwest, 51 sites with nearly 400 buildings such as offices, housing and warehouses have been marked for possible sale. Another 700 buildings are considered unneeded, but sit on forestland that will not be sold. Michael Milstein: 503-294-7689; michaelmilstein@news.oregonian.com

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Karen

Karen
PostSun Apr 17, 2005 4:11 pm 
This was on the news this morning too. Not a good way to start the day. There was also talk on the news about closing trails and campgrounds by 2007. This is bad news for hikers, scramblers, climbers, just about everyone who likes to be outside. There are already too many people on a dwindling number of trails. With more trails likely to be abandoned there will be more "loppers" out and about on dying trails but with fewer people checking out what's going on in the backcountry, it will be hard to enforce some of the rules they have about "volunteers" working on such trails. I don't know the answer to this but how long have they been renting out forest service cabins and lookouts?? I'm under the impression that there are more cabins for rent than there used to be -- at least four in the Olympics, I believe and one in the Suiattle. I also know that Louella Cabin, for example, is VERY popular and that you have to get a reservation pretty far ahead to reserve one. I'd rather see them rent cabins than sell them to Joe Blow who'd want to grab the land, tear down the cabin and put in a condominium or something equally ghastly. I'm glad I'm getting old. I'd hate to be young now with all this *&^$#)^% going on. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Apr 17, 2005 11:45 pm 
What a complete stab in the back. We get to pay for access through the forest pass, and then we get shafted again on cheapskating the maintenance. This is a typical, and sickening, betrayal of the American people by our so-called leaders. The selling of unneeded buildings doesn't bother me, but closing down and/or abandoning recreational facilities just because they are not popular is outrageous. Have these nutcases ever heard of solitude? I guess when you're fabulously wealthy, you can afford your own solitude. The rest of us need to get it where we can find it on our public lands. Too bad that is now going to get even harder. Let's see, how many billions have we spent rebuilding Iraq, while we cut millions from our own necessary facilities?

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Apr 18, 2005 10:42 am 
forest cuts..
Karen, Slugman....this is utterly obscene....more typical Bush tactics to move money from the 'regular people'(like hikers and forest users) to the support of Oil related business and opportunities. I have to agree with Karen's call of *$@#$^& and add an additional &^$*# for Bush himself (hisself...) Just remember....friends don't let friends vote republican.

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 18, 2005 11:24 am 
I'm confused. Is it Bush, the Iraq War, or Republicans that are responsible? Do comments like "friends don't let friends vote republican" keep the discussion intelligent or on topic?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Apr 18, 2005 11:33 am 
"Bush Administration" ought to cover it. This is consistent with environmental policy under the current President.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Apr 18, 2005 1:18 pm 
My "shot" was meant to include Democrats as well. Where is the outcry from them? Where is the filibuster? Most of the dems in high office are rich compared to me, same as the GOP senators, etc. They can afford vacation properties, they don't need the wilderness like I do. But I think the Iraq comment was justified. Fix your own problems first before going halfway around the world to fix somebody else's, unless you can afford both. If the policy was "we're keeping funding intact, but focusing it better where it is needed more, and these facilities are less needed", then I might buy into it. But the facilities closures and sales won't benefit the rest of the system, they will just be given as tax breaks to millionaires. Overall funding is being slashed, even as we pay more through user fees. It is indeed sickening, and not very confusing. It's class warfare pure and simple. All part of the "Republican tax" we all pay everyday, in our manipulated electricity costs, our manipulated gasoline costs, our increased state and local taxes due to cutting of federal help to states, etc. If you make less than a million per year, you have received not one penny in actual tax relief under this dishonest administration, and the Democrats have sat largely silent while this thievery has occurred. The American people should be re-named "sheeple" in honor of our brainless acquiescence to this rampant theft and ridiculous waste. Bush/ Iraq/ Republicans: three heads of the same snake, IMO.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 18, 2005 1:23 pm 
Again, you are drifting off topic. There is more political pork in your last post than a bill going thru congress. tongue.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Apr 18, 2005 1:32 pm 
Sorry that the truth is upsetting to you. This is part and parcel of this administration's policies from the day they took office. Denying it won't help stop it or ameliorate it's affects. And how is it off-topic? The reason for this cutback is to save money. Well, why is the richest nation in the world broke? The Iraq war and tax cuts for millionaires. We were told that the tax cuts were just giving extra money back to those who paid it, but now we are running huge deficits, so that reason is false. Then we were told it's economic stimulus, but our recovery from the recession is the slowest in recorded history, so that reason is also false. Class warfare is the real reason. When they start clearcutting around your favorite lakes, it will be too late. And don't say it can't happen because of wilderness protections. Those could be voted into the trashbin tomorrow, and will be if this gang of war criminals has their way.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Apr 18, 2005 1:39 pm 
Quote:
They can afford vacation properties, they don't need the wilderness like I do.
The rating system sucks fo sho, but I see nothing in the piece about decommissioning Wildernesses, which, by the way, are first for preserving our natural legacy and second or third, for recreation. If you have a problem with what is going on, I suggest you fid a way to be active in fighting the process, and posting on a website doesn't count. PS. please stay on topic so we can have this conversation.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Apr 18, 2005 1:58 pm 
The topic is "are we so broke that we must slash funding for NFS maintenance?" My posts were on that topic.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 18, 2005 2:02 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Sorry that the truth is upsetting to you. This is part and parcel of this administration's policies from the day they took office. Denying it won't help stop it or ameliorate it's affects. And how is it off-topic?
What's off topic is the littering of your repsonses with comments like "If you make less than a million per year, you have received not one penny in actual tax relief under this dishonest administration". It leads to someone getting off topic to educate you, i.e. that they made less than a million last year and got a tax break due the inclusion of sales tax as a deduction. If you don't like the administration and its environmental policies then fine, state that. But keep it within the context of the conversation without the unnecessary political pork.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Apr 18, 2005 2:17 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Sorry that the truth is upsetting to you............. voted into the trashbin tomorrow, and will be if this gang of war criminals has their way.
Do you have a learning disability that prevents you from understanding there is a ban on politics at this site? How many months must this go on? Whatever version of the "truth" you think is "upsetting" to you, the continual insertion of your politics, wether in your signature line, or slipped into an argument, is getting real old. Catch a clue.... politics belong on the other site, and if you can't stand not having a captive audience in which rebuttal will not take place, maybe this isn't the place for you. Using a situation in which rebuttal will not and cannot take place.... typical.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Apr 18, 2005 2:17 pm 
You are factually incorrect, and I'm sorry to see someone as intelligent as you is so easliy confused. I clearly stated that you recieved no "actual" tax decrease, due to the administration and congress slashing aid to states, just for one example, raising your state taxes. Also, the gasoline you buy at $2.50 per gallon instead of $1.75 is a tax, and you get no benefit from it all, no schools, no roads, no nothing. So if you think your total tax burden is less now than it was, then you are wrong. It is amazing to me that you only consider your federal income tax as a tax, and other taxes you pay don't count. It is very convenient for Bush when you think that way. You are the one who is sadly mis-informed and must be educated to the realities of this situation. If you are better off now than you were four years ago, then you are part of a tiny minority in this country. Every day, there's news of tens of thousands of layoffs at some company or in some industry. When do you find out that tens of thousands of new, high-paying jobs were just added by some company? Never, that's when. I'm sorry that you think you are immune from this. You're not. When nobody has any money to buy your company's products, then you will be "downsized" like millions of other Americans have been. PS: your precious sales tax deduction is on the admin's hit list for next year's taxes, so don't go spending your windfall all in one place.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Apr 18, 2005 2:20 pm 
OK, shut up already, unless you are going to discuss the new policy and ideas around it. I don't give a nit about tax reform for the sake of this discussion, and totally do care about this draconian new policy. Play with the other kids or get out of the sandbox!