Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Revised Middle Fork Snoqualmie River Access Info.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 2:41 pm 
Ok, I just recieved information in the mail concerning the Middle Fork river plan. They have chosen alternative E, out of the list. Here is E. Plan "E" It's what we have feared. The closure of the road beyond Dingleford. Turbo bummer. You can make comments here starting April 27th. Send comments (appeals) here

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 3:01 pm 
Quote:
The Forest Service intends to implement the various components of my decision, Alternative E, as follows: Close Road 5600 at Dingford Creek to motorized public access – To facilitate the transport of bridge components and necessary construction equipment and supplies needed to construct the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River Trail Bridge crossing near Goldmyer Hot Springs, this road segment and Road 5600-950 will not be closed until trail bridge construction is completed. Estimated completion date is summer or fall 2006.
At least it looks like we'll have all of this summer and part of 2006 to access the good stuff before only the shizzle is accessible (bar a few worthy XC destinations still within reach).

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 3:06 pm 
I just spoke to Doug Schrenk (spelling sorry about that) at the North Bend Ranger station. He told me that they are going to be building a new foot bridge at the Gold Meyer parking lot and that the gate wont go up until that bridge is completed. He said more like fall 2006. So like Tom said, burn that area up in the next two summers before we're shut out. Maybe few more get togethers up there before the road is closed too. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 3:56 pm 
There wasn't much doubt the lock it up crowd would win this one. down.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 4:28 pm 
I just got home from a hellish day at work and that durned thing was in the mail, gee really made my day. Along with an invitation to join the WTA who supported the closure ha.gif Thank goodness we've got another summer or 2. Anyone else notice it looks like Goldmyer patrons will NOT get a key?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 4:45 pm 
If there are going to be multiple numbers of individuals (property owners) who will be issued keys, then copies will be made and before you know it hundreds of keys will be around. The thing is to get one of those keys. TB

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 4:48 pm 
Looks like the slides probably won't be cleared then. Good thing I've taken care of the stuff I want to see up there except for one beastie that I may never climb.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 4:52 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
If there are going to be multiple numbers of individuals (property owners) who will be issued keys, then copies will be made and before you know it hundreds of keys will be around. The thing is to get one of those keys. TB
Or date a locksmith! rotf.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 7:51 pm 
Sorry all, but I support Plan E. It is a big access improvement for me. If you read the plan, it calls for improving the road to Dingford. Right now, I can't get near Dingford. So I will be able to push a mtn bike up the road to the wilderness boundary and lock it up, and get a downhill coast back to the car after the trip. It will put several areas within my normal 3-day trip range, where as now I'm locked out of the area completely. I'm sorry that others will have trip time added for them, since they can drive up past Dingford now, but it's happening whether I like it or not, so I might as well like it.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 11:10 pm 
Considering the road was pretty much assumed to be closed at Dingford, this is probably the best possible outcome. I have a pretty low clearance car, so having an improved road to Dingford is also nice for me. Guess I'll just have to do DM in the next 18 months.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 12:45 am 
Slugman, your car will totally make it to Dingford right now. Just go slow. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 2:00 am 
Maybe I'll have to saunter on up there soon, and hike Taylor river to that lake up there you recommended to me if I can't get to Dingford (It's a long drive for me, can't waste it). If I can get to dingford, then plan E is an outrage! lol.gif

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 6:53 am 
This outcome is not unexpected. Unfortunate, but not unexpected. At least I've had the priviledge of being able to go up there as the occasion arose since 1989. Maybe they can throw in a bike rack at the DM TH and GM bridge locations.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Curt

Curt
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 6:53 am 
A quick glance at my map shows it's just over 7 miles from Dingford to the Trailhead via the "road" - does this sound about right? Anybody know how much longer the trail is? I haven't been up there for a couple years and don't remember much about the trip in there except that the road sucked big time. If it's only 7 miles, Slug might have the best plan going with the mountain bike idea. I'd be all for donating a beater bike for the cause. We could get a whole fleet of garage sale bikes up there for a continuous shuttle. I know I wouldn't want to leave anything nice up there for 4 or 5 days. -Curt

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 6:55 am 
What is this, just because some of you may not have a vehicle capable of accessing the road closing it is a good option! So if you didnt have car capable of going 75mph, they shouldnt set the speed limit that high????? What king of crap is that? Buy a vehicle that better serves your outdoor interests. This isn't the only questionable road one must access to hike around this state. How can anyone rationally say that closing off access to any area is a positive thing? No body is asking for MORE access or new roads, just that what we have be kept open. Since SOME people are going to have keys to the gate can you imagine how many keys are going to start popping up? TB