Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Revised Middle Fork Snoqualmie River Access Info.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 02, 2005 10:10 am 
Are you referring to the motorcycle trail they built? wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 02, 2005 5:19 pm 
Hey Mal, that's a good point. I could easily ride a Suzuki DRZ400S up to Williams. My bike wont even CRAP on the trail!!!!! Make at least as much trail damage as a hey burner too. Good idea. DR-Z400S TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon May 02, 2005 6:41 pm 
No motors in the Wilderness, pal. wink.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 02, 2005 7:51 pm 
Ok, Ill ride it up to the sign. That still saves me a good 30+ minutes. Maybe longer. HA! TB tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostTue May 03, 2005 8:40 am 
Let's just buy Horses, BPJ. We can keep them in Snoqualmie, and tow their trailer them up to dingford behind a huge pickup. We can bring beer and stakes and a huge wall-tent with a stove and set up a base camp at the campsite by the bridge in the big meadow (plenty of forage and water for the ponies). rolleyes.gif Remember Marmot Lake mad.gif Seriously, I'd like to get a Marine M1030 M1 (Diesel Kawasaki KLR650) and run it on biodiesel.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 03, 2005 8:45 am 
Can I join, I'll bring my backcountry kitchen? biggrin.gif

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostTue May 03, 2005 8:53 am 
You guys think too small.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue May 03, 2005 9:43 am 
Tom wrote:
I really don't think you guys are that far off what is probably going to happen. I know outfitters already go into Waptus. I can see a large semi permanent camp set up at Pedro for example charging lardasses big bucks for a horsey ride into the "Wilderness". Heres a picture of what they will be eating.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue May 03, 2005 9:52 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Tom wrote:
I really don't think you guys are that far off what is probably going to happen. I know outfitters already go into Waptus. I can see a large semi permanent camp set up at Pedro for example charging lardasses big bucks for a horsey ride into the "Wilderness". Heres a picture of what they will be eating.
Exactly. I hiked into Waptus with Marylou one year and along the way we met a lot of horses and drunks. That will be the last time I ever do something like that. If it wasn't for the Schmidt Ice one of the drunks gave us I would have turned around and hiked the 10 miles out without spending the night.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue May 03, 2005 10:40 am 
IIRC those drunks were doing a bunch of trail maintenance.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue May 03, 2005 10:52 am 
One of the many groups said they were, but I didn't see any evidence of it. Especially along the lakeshore trail where there were 30 blowdowns or more. I saw that same group in the same year up at Marmot Lake supposedly doing maintenance, but they were more interested in the Schmidt than their saws. Anyhow, that's not the point of my post.

solohiker

solohiker
PostTue May 03, 2005 12:07 pm 
How could they be? Horsies aren't allowed at Marmot ... only nearby Clarice. OK, that's not the point of your post either. And, I know it's only been a few years since they were banned at Marmot, so maybe you were talking about before that. Stuff is starting to grow back there, though. Things are looking up. If your point was that outfitters bringing up hoardes of people - (and their beverages) on horsies that should really be carcamping beside the road for all they respect the wilderness is not a good idea, then I certainly can't argue with you.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 03, 2005 12:41 pm 
The more roads the USFS closes, the fewer places they have to do just that and stay out of the wilderness. Seems to me there's already plenty of pressure on the USFS from certain quarters to add wilderness for starters and close "unneeded" roads (read to any interesting alpine or subalpine or water locations) to those darned people who don't hike but still like the woods. If you don't meet the canon for how it's acceptable to recreate (foot only), your recreational choices are constantly being reduced.... and from the single mindedness shown here and on the wild sky thread with respect to preserving other forms of access, you can see what the chances are for any turn of events going the other way.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Grinch
Local Burger Tester

Grinch
Local Burger Tester
PostTue May 03, 2005 12:45 pm 
Randy - where are those burgers from, it looks like something I need to test.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 03, 2005 1:06 pm 
That was Malachai that posted the burger shot, from the drudge report: Pa. Eatery Offers New 15-Pound Burger