Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > New direction and agenda for roadless areas
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Don

Don
PostMon May 09, 2005 8:34 pm 
Here! Here! When you have the opportunity to protect wilderness for future generations, is there really a choice? I have read several posts voicing the implications such a decision might have on neighboring land, etc. Whether correct or not, these posts are incredibly short sighted. The implications they might create are far exceeded by the accomplishiment of the long term goal, IMO. We only get one crack at it. I would like to see one example of where conservatives thinking of future generations were incorrect in doing so (I know of many where they lost and the subsequent consequences were regretful). Anybody? Don

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 09, 2005 9:04 pm 
I love it. Protect. Protect for WHOM? What an elitist boob. What about future generations of OTHER than hikers? As if there arent as many ORV/alternate outdoor enthusiast future generations out there as there are hikers. But no, that wouldn't be politically correct now would it? Sure buddy. You dont CARE about other interests because they dont FIT your PC view of the world! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 09, 2005 9:32 pm 
Quote:
Whether correct or not, these posts are incredibly short sighted.
How are they short sighted if they are correct?
Quote:
The implications they might create are far exceeded by the accomplishiment of the long term goal, IMO.
Just curious what the long term goal is?
Quote:
We only get one crack at it.
Really? Why?
Quote:
I would like to see one example of where conservatives thinking of future generations were incorrect in doing so (I know of many where they lost and the subsequent consequences were regretful). Anybody?
To satisfy your criteria, it would need to be an area that is not protected that has survived to date without protection. Pick any of the current roadless areas. Logically, you will counter that these area need to be protected. So what's the point of asking for an example?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon May 09, 2005 11:40 pm 
Once it is gone, it's gone.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 09, 2005 11:42 pm 
You mean like the MFK road past Dignford, right? hmmm.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon May 09, 2005 11:43 pm 
No, I mean once an area is logged or developed, it's not what it once was.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
kayak77

kayak77
PostTue May 10, 2005 2:13 am 
First off, the majority of these areas will probably not change or become logged. That said, nature is always changing. It never is what it once was, even if untouched by man it changes itself. Forest fires are caused by natural sources and that changes the forests. Maybe we should all be mad at Mt. St Helens for what it did to the area. Mt Rainier's landscape has changed naturally as well and will mostly go through a drastic change at some point in the future through because of its volcanic nature. Ice ages, shifting of the plates, earthquakes and other geological and weather related events are continuously changing the face of the earth. And on another point, even areas that man has left strong marks in are interesting today. Cougar mountain was mined and logged but has made a comeback. Blackbird Island (I think its called) in the Wenatchee river in Leavenworth is an interesting little study. Its an island that was made by a mill in the river (forget why) about 75 years ago and is turning into woods on its own. These are areas where man changed the landscape but they currently have their own forms of beauty because nature is always ready to step back in. My point is, with or without man, the woods will change. They will grow, trees will fall over during the windstorms, etc. It never stays the same and nature is pretty resilient.

Don

Don
PostTue May 10, 2005 5:31 am 
BPJ, Where did I mention hikers in my post? I didn't. I don't think you can focus on one interest group when determining what is best for the future. That would be short-sighted.

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostTue May 10, 2005 8:22 am 
Quote:
(I know of many where they lost and the subsequent consequences were regretful).
Where is that at? What happended to these places?

Don

Don
PostTue May 10, 2005 9:15 am 
Tom wrote:
Quote:
Whether correct or not, these posts are incredibly short sighted.
How are they short sighted if they are correct? Wow, did I write that? Terrible wording. Pass the merlot please...
Quote:
The implications they might create are far exceeded by the accomplishiment of the long term goal, IMO.
Just curious what the long term goal is? Preservation, of course.
Quote:
We only get one crack at it.
Really? Why? See Marylou's answer.
Quote:
I would like to see one example of where conservatives thinking of future generations were incorrect in doing so (I know of many where they lost and the subsequent consequences were regretful). Anybody?
To satisfy your criteria, it would need to be an area that is not protected that has survived to date without protection. Why? Pick any of the current roadless areas. Logically, you will counter that these area need to be protected. So what's the point of asking for an example?
Also, I believe there is a difference in protecting (preserving) an area and masking insufficient funding or other political agendas with the "protecting" claim. I'm not a supporter of the MF closure, personally. I fail to see what land it is protecting (Wildlife habitat could certainly be argued). The MF trail has had a lot of time, money and sweat put into it in recent years. Yet it remains largely inaccessilbe. Where is the sense in that? I also believe the Dosewalips road should be rebuilt. Limiting access to areas may reduce the crowds for that particular area/destination, but it increases crowds in other areas which may or may not be suited for larger numbers, IMO. I guess we can always address that with use permits and restricted access if need be... Anyway, just trying to set the record straight on my views, or lack of. Time to hit the submit button and see how bad I screwed up this Quote thing...

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue May 10, 2005 9:41 am 
MFS is totally irrelevant to this discussion. It is not in a wilderness area or a roadless area by definition. Roadless areas do not have roads so you cannot be closing roads in them. They are if anything what the conservatives have requested here a designation intermediate between wilderness areas under the wilderness act and wide open National Forest land where anything goes. They are completely open for hiking, hunting, and fishing, you can usually ride horses and mountain bikes and probably motorcycles, you just cannot build new roads there which effectively prevents mining and logging. The recent ruling opens these areas dependant upon the whim of the governor.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Don

Don
PostTue May 10, 2005 9:44 am 
I agree. I was responding to Tom's remark above.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 10, 2005 9:58 am 
I'm not sure I understand what is necessarily wrong about opening it up to state control? If the goal is preservation, the goal should be to make these areas wilderness, not tie them up via fragile loophole. My main objection to Don's post was that it seemed overly alarmist. It is not "short sighted" to things through. We only get "one crack at it"? I disagree. These areas will not disappear in a heartbeat. IMO there is time to debate, think through all the consequences, and do it right. It would be short sighted not to.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue May 10, 2005 10:19 am 
What is a roadless area and roadless information. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=what+is+a+roadless+area+%3F&btnG=Google+Search http://roadless.fs.fed.us/states/wa/state3.shtml wildernessed hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Don

Don
PostTue May 10, 2005 10:47 am 
Tom, I agree. My "short-sighted" comment was directed to opposing posts citing specific interest groups, such as ORV usage, etc. I also agree that we need to thoroughly think things out because we do only get one crack at it, IMO. Once a decision is finalized, rarely if ever is it reversed. I'm just not certain I am recognizing the options you are suggesting, and I am always going to error on the side of land preservation. That's just me.