Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > which oil filter?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostThu May 14, 2015 8:43 am 
what's the latest greatest oil filter out there? i know consumer reports occasionally does tests, but i'm not a subscriber so haven't seen the most recent reports. i am most specifically interested in one for a 2014 subaru outback.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu May 14, 2015 8:56 am 
My brother tried to sell me on toilet paper oil filters. I didn't bite, but maybe there is some something to them? http://www.frantzoil.com/TOILETPAPER.html

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu May 14, 2015 9:05 am 
Wix oil filters get the best reviews from the car forum nerds. I use the Carquest branded Wix filters. ETA: Napa Gold = Wix

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 14, 2015 9:06 am 
I had a client who made a sophisticated version of the TP filter for heavy equipment. They were very popular in the Mideast where there is a lot of dust in the oilfields. He had evidence that it was the most efficient form of oil filter so do not laugh too much. Most of the oil filters are made by 1 or 2 companies with just the paint on the outside different. I like the ones with the nut welded on the top as they come off easier. smile.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu May 14, 2015 9:10 am 
Mal, I think that was more like 3 or 4 companies, i.e., Wix, Fram, whomever makes Purolator and whomever makes the Euro OEM filters. It's more than 3-4 now cuz Asian knockoff factories are private labeling.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 14, 2015 9:32 am 
no idea what the case is at the moment (retired some time ago from the industry), BUT: Purolator invented the oil filter. (really) and they made a hell of a product. premium quality. Their second (low-end) line was "Group 7", which wasn't bad, but not the same quality as the blue-chip Purolator label. Our secondary line was manufactured by Hutchens Industries (in the midwest somewhere). They manufactured private label for dozens of companies. We sold theirs under the "Super" label. Damn good filter. Don't be put off by the generic, private-label brands unless you know what's inside; hacksaw is the only way to find out. Wix, Baldwin, both were both top-notch filters. Only thing about Wix I didn't like was that they were painted BLACK, which made them hard to sell sometimes. I use a Motorcraft filter on my truck. Also top quality filter. AC was a damn good filter too. I filled in with those from Puget Sound Automotive Warehouse now and then. FRAM = one of the crappiest filters on the market. Monstrous advertising budget, cheesy internal construction. I wouldn't put one on a go-kart. Again, hacksaw will tell you all you want to know. Cut one in half and see what's inside and how it's constructed.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu May 14, 2015 10:00 am 
Ultimately the filtering is happening at a micron level and little can be determined by simply looking at it. Sometimes looking at the by pass valve a judgment call can be made about quality control.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 14, 2015 10:14 am 
that's why we had them cut open (we actually had a guy do it with a large tubing cutter) - we had them displayed in each store - side by side - it's pretty easy to see the difference in the internal construction.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu May 14, 2015 10:18 am 
I'm an Amsoil guy. Their EAA series is the latest in filtering technology. I'm also a fan of their oil. The best in the business. If you become a member, (20.00 a year) you can order online for a discount. This is the Amsoil filter for your car (if you have the 6 cylinder) AMSOIL Ea® Oil Filters (EAO, EA15K) feature advanced full-synthetic media that traps and holds a greater amount of small, wear-causing contaminants compared to conventional filters. They provide extended service intervals for increased convenience, while helping reduce engine wear. Here is the oil you want: Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil The Next Generation in Motor Oil Technology AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is engineered to outperform conventional and synthetic motor oils. It combines industry-premier synthetic technology with AMSOIL premium additives in a unique formulation that exceeds the higher performance demands of modern engines. Signature Series delivers the performance and value upon which the AMSOIL reputation is built. The culmination of more than 40 years of expertise, its exclusive formulation raises the bar for motor oil performance. Understand, this oil isnt cheap. What most people dont understand is that with this oil and these filters you can safely go beyond 3000 oil changes. Most people go 5000-7500-10,000 mile changes. The hard core folks send in oil to get oil analysis done to make sure they are still within manufacturer specs and they arent harming their engines.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 14, 2015 11:40 am 
The Car Talk guys talk about Oil Change frequency and using anything other than the original OEM spec oil filter My take -- spend more time hiking, less time fiddling with your car's oil and filter. FWIW: I drove a 1998 Honda CRV for 14 years and 180K -- I simply changed the oil and filter when the dashboard indicator turned yellow (6500 miles) -- I had the compression checked before selling the car and it was still close to new spec.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu May 14, 2015 12:05 pm 
I like the Bosch and Napa Gold/Wix filters based on their quality construction and amount of filter media (more is better). Without quantitative tests of just how durable a filter is and how efficiently it filters over it's expected lifespan there really isn't anything else to go by.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu May 14, 2015 12:07 pm 
Napa Gold

friluftsliv
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu May 14, 2015 12:19 pm 
Change your oil every 3000 miles and it probably doesn't make much difference. For my 2015 Outback with the 3.6R engine (which incidentally was designed to run on regular/not synthetic oil), I change every 3-4K miles. Well I don't change it, I have the shop (not dealer) change it. They recommend synthetic blend for that engine and changing every 3-4K. For me that turns out to changing it every couple of months at most (since I put on about 2K miles per month). Having to deal with changing the oil myself on that car just isn't worth the hassle and having to deal with disposal etc. My time is more valuable. The only reason I even considered changing my own oil was so I could ensure it was being done correctly. I found a place I think I can trust so... I'd avoid the jiffy lube places though like the plague.

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu May 14, 2015 12:21 pm 
Change your oil and filter every 3000 miles and it probably doesn't make much difference. Lets put it this way that's about what I did (I even got a little sloppy towards the end) for my 2000 Nissan Maxima and I got 215k miles before the timing chain started making noise and I since got rid of the car. To be honest I took it anywhere and everywhere and never even had a clue what kind of filter they were using... I'm going to be a little more selective with my new Outback, but it may not really matter so much. For my 2015 Outback with the 3.6R engine (which incidentally unlike the 2.5L 4 banger was designed to run on regular/not synthetic oil), I change every 3-4K miles. Well I don't change it, I have the shop (not dealer) change it. They recommend synthetic blend for that engine and changing every 3-4K. For me that turns out to changing it every couple of months at most (since I put on about 2K miles per month). Having to deal with changing the oil myself on that car just isn't worth the hassle and having to deal with disposal etc. My time is more valuable. The only reason I even considered changing my own oil was so I could ensure it was being done correctly. I found a place I think I can trust so... I'd avoid the jiffy lube places though like the plague.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostThu May 14, 2015 12:46 pm 
Go with the manufacturer's filter. I've run two Ford 4.0 liter V6 vehicles to the 200K mile mark and beyond using Motorcraft filters. I have the oil analyzed about once a year and there are no indications of filtration problems. If the engine develops problems, you're probably in a better position with a warranty claim if you use factory-spec filters and lubricants.