Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Car Shopping: What's your ride?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
David Cole
Waterfall lover

David Cole
Waterfall lover
PostFri Sep 02, 2016 7:27 pm 
The newer Ford Explorers are pretty sharp-looking and seem to have good reviews. Anybody have experience with that model?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." -- John Muir web | twitter | facebook
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
khrisxp

khrisxp
PostWed Sep 14, 2016 11:19 pm 
Curious how a car-based SUV like Forester holds up "long term" to driving on rough roads compared to a more proper off-roader like Wrangler/4Runner etc. Anyone driving one for say 5~10 years had to endure much suspension repairs etc? I know you can certainly drive on much tougher terrain on an off-road worthy SUV but is there any advantage at all driving on regular forest roads vs a softer car-based SUV? Thanks!

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Sep 15, 2016 7:25 am 
I've been driving a 2006 Outback on forest service roads of all types for 8 years now, at least once a week. No serious problems so far. I did have a CV boot (the flexible rubber thing where the front axle meets the transmission) come loose but it was a cheap repair. (less than $100 for a new one and refilling with grease). I'd imagine a Forester would be just as durable. Previously I had a Mazda Protege5 wagon. I did bend a suspension arm on that car but their SUV should be tougher. I miss my Mazda. Much more fun to drive on good roads but their stiffer suspensions will make a rougher drive on FS roads. Basically, I think all the small SUVs should handle 99% of the FS roads just fine. The speed you drive would probably have a lot more effect on suspension damage.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Sep 15, 2016 8:44 am 
Just mentioned this in another thread. I totally don't get the obsession with Subarus in the NW. I don't really question their reliability (although they are notorious for hemorrhaging oil as they get older), but I find them just absolute s*** to drive. I got a 2014 Maada CX5 and my parents who live in town got a 2014 Subaru, so I've been able to really continually test the two. I loath the Forester, I find it just miserable to drive. Mediocre handling, jittery ride, a jumpy accelerator without actually having better acceleration, a weird 3-second delay after switching from reverse to drive, an atrocious sound system and electronics (the bluetooth is essentially impossible to use and bugs out all the time), and uncomfortable seats. The CX5 meanwhile is comfy, a joy to drive (assuming you get at least the Touring trim with the 2.5 liter engine), and can handle anything the Forester can. The CX5 also allows the rear middle seat to flip down by itself, which allows for storage of long skis or other long stuff in the back even with 2 kids in the back seat; it's the only car in the class with this feature, last I checked. It has handled some of the roughest roads out there without incident, including the notorious road to Twin Lakes / Winchester Mtn. Of course most people around here have no idea how to drive either, so it might be related to that.

khrisxp

khrisxp
PostThu Sep 15, 2016 4:25 pm 
I haven't driven a Forester but I did see that the 2014 model got top SUV of the year from one of the car review sites so maybe the new models have the issues ironed out.

kawi_200

kawi_200
PostThu Sep 15, 2016 7:09 pm 
While not the same SUV as the Explorer, my first car was a 1987 Bronco II and I currently have a 2005 Expedition. I also used my parent's 1993 Ford Aerostar AWD after the Bronco was sold. All the Ford's AWD/4x4 systems have been great in the snow. I haven't had any issues. I wasn't a hiker back then so I never took the van or Bronco out to the mountains. The Expedition has been out there and has done just fine. My opinion of Ford AWD systems is that they know what they are doing and the Explorer would probably be no different. That being said, I also had a 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback. And that was a very good car in the snow It liked to understeer, but handled the snow just fine if you weren't driving like a tool. Sold it because I needed something bigger to tow/haul stuff. Otherwise I probably would have kept it. My wife has a 2015 Forrester and it is meh. Plain and boring. Hard plastics, uncomfortable seating position for me. My knees and legs hit the hard plastic corners of the door pocket and center console. But she loves it and is very happy. We have not had it in the snow yet, so can't comment on how the AWD does.

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Sep 16, 2016 2:54 pm 
One could tally up the one who posts the most TR's and see what they drive???

ejain

ejain
PostFri Sep 16, 2016 9:35 pm 
Brucester wrote:
One could tally up the one who posts the most TR's and see what they drive???
Have done over 382 trips with a 2008 Honda Civic Coupe. I'm thinking about getting a more appropriate car (just test-drove a Subaru Crosstrek), but haven't really had any problems reaching trailheads so far. I drive a bit more slowly on rough roads than I could otherwise (assuming the limiting factor isn't visibility), and avoid unplowed roads in winter.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Sep 17, 2016 7:02 am 
ejain wrote:
a 2008 Honda Civic Coupe.
The Honda Accord wagon is a very fine utility ride. Usually no stock roof rack, though. They last forever.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
FJES6
Will Belay for Food

FJES6
Will Belay for Food
PostSat Sep 17, 2016 1:52 pm 
This has served me well. 1993 Mazda B2600i 4x4

Sincerely, Franklyn Joseph Esquire Sebille the 6th Http://www.summitpost.org/users/fjes6/68961 Alpinism is the art of suffering-Voytek Kurtyka
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Sep 17, 2016 2:01 pm 
Foist wrote:
I totally don't get the obsession with Subarus in the NW.
I don't get it either, maybe for the same reason Subaru drivers vote the way they do? clown.gif I have never driven a Subaru but my I driven a 2012 Ford Escape and I really liked it, no problems like those you mentioned with the Forester.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Sep 17, 2016 6:26 pm 
I have a 2wd FULLY restored 86 mazda.....with 600lb. pop-up camper... that 4x4 would be my choice for full re-build ...with some turbo motor...mayb even the Mercedes diesel? there was one on c.l. for 500$ no engine (trans.?)...suspension ball joints-4 tie rods, all brakes,hoses, upper controll arms, Exhaust, ECT..... AND YA GOT A GREAT RIG....

FJES6
Will Belay for Food

FJES6
Will Belay for Food
PostSat Sep 17, 2016 9:52 pm 
Thanks ForestGnome, I love the truck. And I'm proud to mention it goes everywhere I point it.

Sincerely, Franklyn Joseph Esquire Sebille the 6th Http://www.summitpost.org/users/fjes6/68961 Alpinism is the art of suffering-Voytek Kurtyka
Spot
Spot Mandeux

Spot
Spot Mandeux
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 12:14 pm 
Grand Cherokee gets me to most places
For the harder to get to places I use this. Sometimes I just go to harder to get to places to have an excuse to use it for what it was made for.
smile.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 12:30 pm 
I just bought a 2003 Suburban with 180k and in great condition for 3400...I mainly bought it because I can still haul most thing that a truck can and I can also pull out the 3rd row seats and put an air bed in the back. So now I can drive to the TH at night and be set up for an early start in the morning. A Suburban is essentially a truck with a built in canopy. Plus I hear the 5.3 (327) Vortec is a very good and long lasting engine. Bose sound system too!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.