Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fire season ending rains possible about one week from now
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 8:00 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
All people and mountain gear made it out safely. That's well enough for me!
Great. up.gif May the rains come soon. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostFri Sep 15, 2017 9:05 am 
By season ending event, I obviously didn't mean that all the fires would be out, but rather that they would be all but done spreading. We are still on track for numerous rains beginning late Sunday for most of the ten day period. Because of differences in the rain events, nearly all areas in the mountains should see significant rain. The downside - try to find a nice day to hike........

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 1:16 pm 
Nothing wrong with hiking in the rain! It has been raining in Westport since about 10 am today (Sunday). It's coming your way, folks! Keep doing your rain dance!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 1:40 pm 
I see a few drops have landed on the deck. The rain has arrived!!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 3:26 pm 
Not a single drop in Roslyn so far. Just super smokey.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 4:48 pm 
It is now raining hard enough for the gutters to be guttering at a good rate. up.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 10:58 am 
Unfortunately, from this point most of the rain goes south into Oregon, and unlike the long range look a week ago, it now dries out with just a small amount of rain after Tuesday possible. The best prospect for rain may end up being the Norse Peak fire.......

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 11:02 am 
hmmmm... maybe... or maybe that system that's up in the Aleutians right now might veer a bit north and we could get slammed in two or three days..... or...... it could fizzle out like this last one seems to have done.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 12:59 pm 
It rained all night here and has been going off and on all day. There was a break just long enough for me to go for a walk. The last wave was a pretty hard shower.

drm

drm
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 4:25 pm 
I was up at Sunrise for the weekend and they were closing the road above White River for a winter storm. The person at the cafe said they were expecting two feet of snow at Sunrise by Wednesday. Here in The Dalles, the smoke was horrible when I got home yesterday and was pretty much all gone by this morning. It rained steadily on the Eagle Creek fire and the level 1 evac zone in Hood River Valley has been canceled. We didn't get much rain here so I guess the fire is just not generating smoke any more. They were forecasting 3-6" of rain in the North Oregon Cascades and flash flood advisories have been sent out. But much less rain was forecast for SW OR where the much larger Chetco Bar fire is.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 5:34 pm 
Here in the land between the fires, we are getting the kind of precip that actually will put a fire out. I see a gutter needs some help, but if I go outside and look up I might drown. From famine to feast....this is unbelievable and has been going on for most of the afternoon. I'd say we have gotten more than an inch today.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 11:52 pm 
drm wrote:
The person at the cafe said they were expecting two feet of snow at Sunrise by Wednesday.
The person at the cafe was greatly exaggerating. NOAA has said nothing about that kind of snow at any elevations. I suppose it's possible above 7k' but not lower. They're saying *maybe* 6-8" at Paradise. It rained buckets for short periods of time this afternoon around here. What I would call "cloudbursts." Intense, heavy rain that lasts maybe 15-20 min. followed by broken clouds and some sun rays. Got soaked while walking the dogs.

drm

drm
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 7:26 am 
NOAA was saying that at one point. I checked the forecast Sunday when I got home and altitudes 6000 feet and above were showing a forecast of 15 to 30 inches from Sunday through Wednesday, but by Tuesday morning that had changed. On TV, a weather forecaster said that the Tuesday storm would have a higher snow line and NOAA was slower to show this than the TV weather forecast.

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 10:28 am 
well.... it has certainly changed the smoke picture! remember what this looked like just a couple weeks ago? http://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/BSC18CA12/current/

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 10:37 am 
Monday was the first day my yard didn't smell like a ****ing campfire when I stepped out the door in the morning. Yay rain. I want that kids hide nailed to a tree somewhere. A burning one. Following a speedy fair trial, of course. huh.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers