Forum Index > Gear Talk > Schoeller 3XDry
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri Nov 12, 2004 9:21 am 
Last weekend I was out spending birthday gift certificates (how personal and thoughtful hmmm.gif ), and on impulse bought a jacket made of this material. I don't know much about the fabric, but it sounds good. My intention is to use it as a top layer for X-C, snowshoeing, or cold-weather hikes when it isn't pouring rain but might encounter a shower or two. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? How did it perform- pros and cons?

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
chucku

chucku
PostTue Nov 30, 2004 1:03 am 
This is a very tough, highly breathable, but not very waterproof fabric. I've had a pair of shorty gaiters made from it without the 3xdry treatment and have been very happy with them. They have stood up well and even when they wet through, they have kept my boots dry. I recently bought a Cloudveil Serendipity jacket at MEC in Vancouver ($180 Canadian) primarily for skiing and snowshoeing. Haven't used it for those purposes yet but it has kept me very comfortable in some pretty miserable conditions on soccer sidelines (with fleece underneath). Although the jacket will wet out in sustained rain, the fleece beneath remained dry.

Aging: it beats the alternative!
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostTue Nov 30, 2004 9:16 am 
Thanks for the info, chucku! I've been trying the jacket out and it seems to perform as you describe. Seems like it will work about perfect for my intended purpose. up.gif

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostTue Jan 18, 2005 9:25 am 
Update- I have now used the jacket in everything short of a monsoon and have found it to be up.gif . The outer layer gets wet, but inside is nice and dry.