Forum Index > Gear Talk > Recent gear upgrade
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostTue Jan 18, 2005 8:32 am 
2004 was a good year for me. Consequently, I felt that I needed a gear upgrade. Although I don't choose to be uncomfortable, I really wanted to cut down on bulk and weight. The first item that I got was a Go-Lite Speed backpack. Wow. It had been 20 years since my last backpack purchase. This pack is so much lighter and fits like a dream. It has a large compartment for my bag and clothes and lots of pockets on the outside for quick access stuff. I took it on a test run this last weekend and skiied 10 miles one day with it. It felt similar to the daypack with 17 lb dog that I carry every morning around the block. I also go the Go-Lite feather down sleeping bag. It is 800 fill rated to 20 degrees. So far it has been all the warmth I need and soo light. I believe it is 20 oz. It stuffed down into the bottom of my backpack and made room for a lot of other stuff. My old sleeping bag was close to the same size as my new pack. It has a short zipper tho, and I am not sure if I'll like it. It takes a whole new method of getting in and out and it may be too much for summer camping. I also bought the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight tent. I did not take it on this trip because I was staying in a shelter. It looked like a good tent for my going solo and big enough to add a friend if need be. I look forward to giving it a test. I've zeroed in on a Sterno stove for my cooking. I'm surprised that this alternative has not been mentioned in all of the stove threads. It works well for me. I need only boil 2 cups of water for my cooking needs. It is compact and fits every need. I plan to expand my 'freezer bag cooking'. Thanks Sarbar. Anybody got any ideas on sleeping pads? I have an old thermarest. I also brought along a regular pad. Unfortunately, I am older than both of those pads and my hips don't get through the night very well. I would appreciate your comments. If you have any comments on water purification or any other small components, I would be indebted. Thanks.

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jan 18, 2005 8:56 am 
For the filter, go for the cheap-o Katadyn Hiker. Amazingly fast and agile filter for a better than average price. I got mine on sale, including a $10 rebate, for a grand total of $35. Phenomenal deal!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 18, 2005 12:34 pm 
The Sterno stove is probably heavier than you think. A tin can alcohol stove might be a better and lighter option. As far as sleeping pads, I'd look into the 3/4 pro-lite therm-a-rests and the InsulMat. I found the latter more comfortable on the hips when testing them out at REI, but both were comfortable. Another option is a HennessyHammock. Best night of sleep you will ever get in the woods.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Jan 18, 2005 1:34 pm 
The reason I use a Primus iso-butane stove instead of a sterno stove is I do like to actually cook sometimes while on the trail. I want the capability to simmer things and cook pancakes rather than just boiling water. I've been really happy with my Clip Flashlight over the years. I'll be getting a different tent for dedicated 2 person use, but for me and the dog the Clip is just perfect. Last fall the Clip came through high winds and an ice storm with flying colors.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Jan 18, 2005 2:22 pm 
If you're going the Sterno route, you might as well go the whole alcohol stove route. A homemade popcan stove and a plastic container of methyl hydrate is not only going to cost you less but will probably weigh less as well.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostTue Jan 18, 2005 4:46 pm 
This is great. I'm getting all sorts of good info here. Filter.. Light and useful. That sounds like my kind. The sterno is small (approx 1 x 4 x 4) and can't weight too much more or take any more room than a pepsi stove, can it? Besides, I'm not sure I can build one of them, even with the directions. confused.gif I will give almost anything for a good night's rest, especially for the hips. I studied hard the hammock route, but could not convince myself that it would do the trick. I have heard a lot of good about it recently and am not above investing in one, even tho my tent has not come out of the bag yet.

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jan 18, 2005 7:32 pm 
I use a tiny Primus stove and a Primus tea kettle to boil my water..I just like the easyness of it ') Though I know quite a few who haul alcohol stoves and love 'em. Hoosierdaddy is great at making them btw! I carry a water bottle filter, at 5 oz's it is great, though I have used Aquamira water purification, and it is nice! Going lighter is soooo nice!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostTue Jan 18, 2005 7:59 pm 
I own a pre-clip version of the SD Flashlight (i.e. a pole thread thru the sleeve). It's a design that's been around for a long time and has stood the test of time. There's a good reason for that.

Let me stand next to your fire