Forum Index > Trail Talk > Middle Fork Snoqualmie trail landslide
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ThursdayHiker

ThursdayHiker
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 10:08 pm 
Blendergasket, Stegosaurus Butte and Pratt should be unaffected. The slide is 1 mile upstream from the Gateway Bridge.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtnresqr

mtnresqr
PostTue Apr 24, 2018 3:06 pm 
So, about this trail closure, on Snoqualmie Middle Fork trail, heading up from 'Main" T/H. About one mile up, a small creek coming down across the ancient lake bottom 'side bench', has cut down, and totally closed access by forming a big soggy muddy canyon. That is about 20+ feet deep, and since it is water soaking the old clay like lake bottom, you now have over 100 yards of soupy mud, almost like Quicksand. And, lots of trees that have fallen across the muddy mess. Yes, one could MAYBE get across it, but the area is way "seriously closed" to travel. What may look like sandy soils across the hole, most like could start sucking your feet down in. On the uphill side, the land is at about 45 degrees, but a few low angle game trails make a route possible around the muddy pit down on the old bench. That is a 100+ feet above upper end of the slump hole. The MF Trail is about 6 miles, from Middle Fork T/H, to junction with Dingford Creek T/H. The First mile is OK, then the impassable piece, then just under 4 miles to Dingford T/H. The liability of the trail is, it's OK to enjoy, but you can NOT get across that about 3 acres of canyon, filled with land that looks like what was at Oso landside. but that one was from debris cascading down onto lower land. This is a canyon cut down into old Ice Age lake bottom silt. If someone try's to get across and got hurt, it would be a 'tough call, for SAR to go get them. I know, I'm a SAR guy and have experienced many kinds of bad land issues. Make a trail 'up and around' this and stay away from the "Mud Canyon".

ThursdayHiker

ThursdayHiker
PostFri Apr 27, 2018 7:57 am 
I took this drone video of the slide yesterday. It is impressive. It looks like it made it all the way to the Mid Fork river and created a small dam and lake upstream.
https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2018-04-26.7961010038

RichP

RichP
PostFri Apr 27, 2018 10:21 am 
Thanks for that, ThursdayHiker. It really helps to appreciate the scope of the slide.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 27, 2018 10:15 pm 
Ditto that. up.gif up.gif

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Apr 28, 2018 12:01 am 
Wow, thanks for the footage! Great (and legal) use of a drone. I do admit I'd have liked to have seen more of what's going on with the river itself in that area. Really doesn't look like it'll be too hard to re-route the trail above the slide.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Apr 28, 2018 6:31 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Really doesn't look like it'll be too hard to re-route the trail above the slide.
That's what I was thinking. I am quite uninformed about the matter of trail re-construction, but I am familiar with bureaucracy. Could it be re-routed using volunteers to just push through a way trail? I'm guessing " no," there are probably lengthy regulations specifying details for width, cleared radius from a center line, grade, drainage, etc.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Apr 28, 2018 10:45 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
Really doesn't look like it'll be too hard to re-route the trail above the slide.
That's what I was thinking. I am quuute uninformed about the matter of trail re-construction, but I am familiar with bureaucracy. Could it be re-routed using volunteers to just push through a way trail? I'm guessing " no," there are probably lengthy regulations specifying details for width, cleared radius from a center line, grade, drainage, etc.
Yeah, in this day and age I imagine it'll require a lengthy review and planning process. And, I'll bet by the time some official decision gets made and a plan implemented, a user trail will have been beaten in that accomplishes the same thing.

blendergasket

blendergasket
PostSat Apr 28, 2018 4:32 pm 
Quote:
Blendergasket, Stegosaurus Butte and Pratt should be unaffected. The slide is 1 mile upstream from the Gateway Bridge.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if it was below the Butte where the slide happened, and if that meant that the Butte may be have been partially compromised. I went up the Pratt a ways yesterday and I saw that a bunch of sticks were put over the trail I took last time up the Stegosaurus Butte trail. I'm not sure if that means it's closed, I guess there would be more formal info if it was.

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus