Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Cool Article
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 8:01 pm 
Alan Bauer wrote:
Absolutely wonderful stuff, isn't it? Do a search on the internet for "Great Missoula Floods" and you'll be sucked into reading for hours. I highly recommend a book: "Glacial Lake Missoula" by David Alt.
Whoops, I was not the first to recommend this book. up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stomp
Terminally Indolent

Stomp
Terminally Indolent
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 12:08 am 
With everyone whipped into an Eastern Washington geologic fervor, this seems a prime opportunity to pose a purely theoretical question: Let's say Person S has all day on or around the 27th of April to travel from La Grande to Bellevue, and would like to soak up some rock en route. The bulk of his geologic knowledge of the far East Side has been culled from this thread, as the sum of his previous exposure to said region has been through a car window as he rocketed along I-90. If I were Person S, and I'm not saying I am (I am), I would currently be doing google searches on Moses Coulee and Dry Falls, but my primary motivation is to do some light hiking and really get my hands dirty. Stumbling clumsily among dangerous chunks of weather-worn rock, trying to coerce columnar basalt to fall on my head, that sort of thing. It's all about the rocks, baby. Of course, if the weather turns out to be hurl.gif I'd just detour through the ol' Oregon side of the gorge and scope out some big waterfalls. Or perhaps linger all day in the La Grande Denny's ogling the super-hot waitresses. eek.gif So many options. Any attempts to influence my decision-making would be appreciated. And I suppose it's finally time to crack open that copy of Roadside Geology I purchased on a big fat whim some time ago.

# Stomp (fifty score key-tapping monkeys)
Scouter
Sandwich bagger

Scouter
Sandwich bagger
PostThu Apr 10, 2003 11:39 pm 
The Dry Falls area is really awesome. I spent three days there on a college field study trip. We holed up at Sun Lakes SP, in one of the large group campsites with a dining hall at the north end of the park. The free time was great. I climbed up out of the bottom of the coulee up one of the side of the basalt mesas. I suppose I should have given more thought to snakes in all that rock. The view from the top was amazing, being able to look back down the coulee towards Lake Lenore. It was strange how flat the top of the mesas were. The falls must have been impressive with all that water flowing over them.

Each human spirit is immortal-for time cannot destroy whatever element within us reverences the glory of a dawn in the mountains. -- Dervla Murphy
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 12:05 pm 
With a little help from my computer, I was able to recreate the cataclysmic flood that ensued when the ice dam at Lake Missoula broke. Pity the poor villagers and their condominiums!

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 2:03 pm 
Nice!! NN up.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 6:39 pm 
Cool animation job, Mr. Kleet! up.gif While viewing it I was struck with the thought that the Missoula Floods would be pretty awesome recreated by Hollywood special-effects wizards in a whiz-bang disaster movie. The storyline would have native peoples living in and around our Lake Missoula and further downstream of the impending flood waters, unaware in their contented state of the looming tragedy about to engulf them and forever change their lives. It could be a mixture of Dances with Wolves, The Towering Inferno, Titanic and Dante's Peak- all rolled into one! (Hey, maybe this isn't so far-fetched an idea...I could be sitting on a future gold mine here...on second thought....forget you ever read this.. it's a stupid thought, who am I kidding!!

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Jan 29, 2005 10:48 am 
kleet wrote:
With a little help from my computer, I was able to recreate the cataclysmic flood that ensued when the ice dam at Lake Missoula broke. Pity the poor villagers and their condominiums!
Tho the animation is gone, I'm wondering which program was used to create it. Anyone know or remember it? Also while snooping the I ran across this and this. It may have been brought up before, but what the hey. I think it would be cool. Anyway, any of you Geologist/water folks have a good program for working out flood plains and water flows? I've got one at work but it maintains the same water elev. through out the flow. I'm looking for something that will calculate the flow at the diminishing rate with a given quantity of source water. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Jan 29, 2005 5:48 pm 
polarbear wrote:
Imagine being a witness to that. You pass down the story from age to age and eventually the white man arrives on the shores and maybe calls it a legend. hmmm.gif
I do believe Sore Feet's prehistoric ancestors were there to take pictures of the great spectacle we call Dry Falls. Explains a bit of the genetic predisposition to falling water, don't it? hockeygrin.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 1:35 am 
I don't think there's a genetic predisposition in my family hockeygrin.gif . My Dad likes to photograph garbage cans and National Park buildings (work related habit I guess), and my grandfather was into historical junk (churches, castles, graveyards, various wooden relics like the Contiki, etc), and my mother's side of the family is from Michigan, where there ain't no waterfalls. Guess I'll be relegated to passing on the gene. doh.gif

mpaul_hansen

mpaul_hansen
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 10:32 am 
flood flow simulation ...
Newt ... A complex simulation of flood flows perhaps could be done using .. DAMBRK, [dam break] a program developed by ?NWS? ...it is used for instance to simulate water releases in case ie Mud Mountain Dam or other dam failed, and what the ensuing downstream inundation would be. Certainly not for the amateur, however.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 4:34 pm 
Thanks for the lead. It looks like it would do the job. Know where I could get a freebie or one similar to try for an extended period of time? Newt