Forum Index > Gear Talk > sil-nylon at walmart?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostWed Feb 09, 2005 10:43 am 
wow!!! eek.gif i was reading on a gear making website that someone in calli and another person in montana had found sil-nylon at there local wall mart... its in the 1.00$ section, sent out as remnants by there suppliers.. i thought what the hel1 and drove down to the local store to have a looksy paranoid.gif .. sure enough, there it was, a dark green nylon, with some type of waterproofedness on it...i bought all they had, 14.5 yard(by 50 inches) for $14.50!!!! humpy.gif i brought it home and gave it the water test, and it holds it like a cup....runs right off!!! still not convinced this is sil-nylon, but it definitley has a dwr on it of some kind, and in comparison, i think this is the 1.1ounce or smaller weight... cant wait to get my hands on a sewing machine!!! tarptent, pack cover, poncho, stuff sacks, quilt........here i come!!!! if you have a walmart near by, they prolly have some too...

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostWed Feb 09, 2005 11:13 am 
awesome find up.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Feb 09, 2005 1:05 pm 
I bought out the Federal Way store last year..lol!!! Someday I will show you my $2 masterpiece...the silnylon hiking kilt biggrin.gif Ok, it is freaking ugly, and it rustles, but it is sooo lightweight lol.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostWed Feb 09, 2005 1:14 pm 
sarbar wrote:
I bought out the Federal Way store last year..lol!!! Someday I will show you my $2 masterpiece...the silnylon hiking kilt biggrin.gif Ok, it is freaking ugly, and it rustles, but it is sooo lightweight lol.gif
so was that the same material i posted? is it really silnylon, or just a dwr repelent?....

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Feb 09, 2005 1:17 pm 
I am not 100% sure, but it looks and acts like my silnylon pack cover...if it is a fake, it is a good fake!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed Feb 09, 2005 2:59 pm 
one way to test it is to put a blob of silicone sealer (the regular household or automotive kind, not silnet..) on a remnant, just dab it on the surface, don't force it into the fabric. let it cure for 24hrs or so and see if it can be peeled off. if you can't peel it off, it's silnylon.