Forum Index > Gear Talk > Kitchen Gear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Feb 10, 2005 7:06 pm 
I'm looking for a light weight 8" fry pan with folding handle and a lid. Preferably coated or anodized. No Ti. Also, remember the P-38's? I want a couple. I've looked in a few surplus stores but haven't found em. Yet. Any leads are appreciated. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 10, 2005 8:20 pm 
There is a small place in Rockaway Beach OR that has lots of P-38's real ones, not Taiwanese copies dirt cheap, only prob is he is seldom open mostly on weekends. smile.gif I assume you are not talkin about the plane or German Pistol guns.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mgd

mgd
PostThu Feb 10, 2005 8:50 pm 
Odonata

Odonata
PostThu Feb 10, 2005 9:02 pm 
Fred Myer in Greenwood has StanSport P-38's sold in two's. They call it a GI style can opener. They each have a little "Made in China" sticker on them.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 10, 2005 9:09 pm 
Not the same, the Chinese ones are softer metal, the real ones say "P-38" or for more recent vintage "Go Army" biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Odonata

Odonata
PostThu Feb 10, 2005 9:23 pm 
Oh yea, the StanSport ones are very cheesy looking compared to the real thing.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostFri Feb 11, 2005 3:11 am 
trangia gourmet covered frypan i've ordered from these guys before, good service.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Feb 11, 2005 10:42 am 
We use lightweight cake pans. No handle because we have a little handle that works with the fry pan and water pan. You have to look around for just the right pans but when you find a good one it works well and is cheap.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Feb 11, 2005 11:55 am 
Thanks for the leads. I'm thinkin the Trangia should do the trick. I'm amased at how many outdoor fry pans don't have lids. I like em cause they keep the splatter down and heat up quicker. I'm also amased at how I can't locate things. confused.gif And yes, an original US John Wayne can opener is what I be looking for. P=Puncture and 38= the # of cuts to open a ration can. What a way to name something huh? Thanks Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
gary

gary
PostFri Feb 11, 2005 1:45 pm 
A P-38, cool. I never knew that's what they were called... This guy looks like he really has a fetish for them.

salish

salish
PostFri Feb 11, 2005 4:58 pm 
Newt, For the most part, I have to agree with Brian's cake pan idea. But I still sometimes use a cheap little frypan a buddy got for me a few years ago. It's just a cheap little aluminum pan with some kind of "teflon" coating, and folding wire handle, and it weighs practically nothing. I think my buddy got it at K-Mart, or maybe Outdoor Emporium. There's no name or trademark on this pan, but you might still be able to find one at those types of places under that cheapo "Coughlins" brand with the green packaging. Anyway, cheap as it is, it makes the best damned hotcakes I've ever eaten in the backcountry, and if you "prime" the pan with a slice of fried bacon you'll have every bear in the Cascades heading towards your camp. I've cooked on an open fire with it, but it does best over a stove, from low to medium heat. Besides, it's so cheap I'm afraid the teflon coating may burn off in the heat of a fire and slide into the fire. It has no lid, however. Speaking of which, I really don't use them anymore. My lids get thrown into the junk box in favor of heavy duty aluminum, which has other uses besides being a lid. That's the kind of lid you're talking about, right? smile.gif I'm attaching a couple of photos of my sweet little POS. If you find a source lemme know as I would like another one. Cliff
Frypan
Frypan
Frypan1
Frypan1

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Feb 11, 2005 6:33 pm 
I just might have to keep my eyes open for a small cake pan and something like you have Salish. Could fit me good if I'm ever on my own. Found a P-38 in Everett at Jerry's Surplus. They got a bunch in. Zero point three five cents a piece. I snagged a couple. Drove by Ed's again and all they had was P-51's. 0.99 ea. Both are new & American made. Sounds like they've been a selling item lately. Newt

-lol-

-lol-
PostFri Feb 11, 2005 10:12 pm 

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostSat Feb 12, 2005 4:35 am 
i've used cake pans as frying pans before, they're definitely inexpensive but usually are steel and not non-stick.... and the aluminum ones i've tried were heavier than backpacking aluminum frypans while also being uncoated.. ok for frying fish or bacon or anytime you use plenty of oil, but for something like pancakes you really need a nonstick surface (or well-seasoned cast iron, but that's another subject...smile.gif ) the trangia pan is well-made, but isn't all that lightweight. but, it's the only one i know of that is sold with a lid, which was the original poster's question.. my main beef with the trangia frypans is that the handles are made from really thick steel.. however, what i personally use as a covered frypan is a gsi hard-anodized mess kit minus the plastic bowl and cup. about 14 ounces, and also works for boiling water (the larger pan will hold 4 cups easily). mine was $27 at outdoor emporium a few years back.