Forum Index > Gear Talk > How critical is the torso dimension on packs...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
memilanuk

memilanuk
PostSun Feb 27, 2005 9:41 am 
Might be a silly question, but I've never really had anything other than day packs that were glorified book bags. I'm looking at a variety of packs in the 2500-3000ci, large daypack to small weekend pack, preferably internal framesheet, etc., but most of them, even in the 'large' size, seem to max out around 21-22"... the better half's trusty sewing tape says my torso is about 23-24" long. Is this going to be 'close enough' or a major problem? Thanks, Monte

All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!! wink.gif
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Feb 27, 2005 9:55 am 
Personally, I'd go get get measured by a good pack fitter-and have them measure you!! If your pack is off on your torso, your pack fully loaded is going to sit gquite right. Sure you can survive and do just fine-but if can also be painful (for instance, I have worn a 17" torso pack when I am a 16" torso....and the straps kept shifting during the days. Not painful, but a pain in the butt,) Take your time in buying your first pack and you will be just fine smile.gif Go try on a ton of them-loaded with the weight and or gear you figure you will carry.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 3:32 pm 
How good are you at enduring discomfort? If you don't get a well fitting pack, you better learn to live with back/shoulder pain. As an aside, I would not recommend a pack with only a plastic sheet as a load carrying member unless your loads are under 15 lbs or so. It would be better than nothing, but only marginally for heavier loads.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
memilanuk

memilanuk
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 3:56 pm 
Well... as I mentioned before, I had the better half measure me going by what I read (or at least my understanding of it) on the REI site, going from the 7th vertebrae down to btwn my thumbs w/ my hands on my hip bones... came out at almost 24". Later, I was looking at McHale's website (yikes! $$$) and saw their pictures on how to measure torso lenght. Had someone measure me that way, came out at 21", so I had the better half re-measure, this time I had my hands up a little higher, more on the upper crest than down on the front curve of the bone, so it came out at 21" also. Today I went in to Arlberg Sports and they had an Osprey sizing template they had me strap on... it showed me at 21", maybe a touch over. Right in the overlap btwn a Large and Xtra-Large by Osprey sizes. Tried on an Osprey Eclipse 26+5 in Large that they had on hand, and the salesman and I stuffed some weighted bulky packages they had on hand for testing packs out in there, probably about 15lbs. Almost couldn't tell the difference btwn empty and 15lbs. No problems w/ range of movement, anything. The waist belt was big enough, but just. May have to re-evaluate how much I'm planning on carrying... the 26+5 is only 1700ci, but it looks huge compared to what I'm anticipating hauling around. There are a couple sizes up if I need to go for more space, but the ones in the range I originally was looking at (~3000ci) look absolutely cavernous for just day hikes carrying enough stuff for 'just in case'. Guess I'll probably keep looking and start accumulating some of the odds-n-ends. I'm sure extra clothing would probably eat up some of that space pretty quickly. Any other suggestions for day packs for the big-n-tall? The Eclipse is pretty much at the upper end of what I'm looking to spend ($150) Thanks, Monte

All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!! wink.gif
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 4:29 pm 
Quote:
Personally, I'd go get get measured by a good pack fitter-and have them measure you!!
Is there something confusing about this, or is it maybe me that is confusing? dizzy.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 6:01 pm 
<ahem> I was making sure he doubly understood he needed to get properly measured lol.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostTue Mar 01, 2005 4:05 pm 
Since you mentioned the McHale I'll give you my opinion on them; I have not had a pack that has fit as well as my McHale packs, including Dana Teraplanes. I've bought three of them (2 for me one for my wife) and my wife would not trade hers for any other pack. They are expensive, but then it is a custom made, custom fit pack made here in Seattle.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.