Forum Index > Food & Grub > Low Carb/Keto Backpacking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Author     Message
AA+
ImTheScientist
Member
Member


Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Posts: 242 | TRs | Pics
ImTheScientist
Member
PostSun Nov 03, 2019 6:42 am 
Parked Out wrote:
Dante wrote:
Haven't tried it yet, but: https://www.nextmilemeals.com/

Just looked at the chicken & broccoli, $14 for 540 calories, ouch.

Hiked with only these meals this year. They well justify the price. I actually felt full after eating one of these. Usually a mountain house the same size, half the price, leaves me hungry.

I actually didnít find one I didnít like.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Parked Out
Member
Member


Joined: 18 Sep 2011
Posts: 508 | TRs | Pics
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Parked Out
Member
PostSun Nov 03, 2019 7:50 pm 
ImTheScientist wrote:
Parked Out wrote:
Dante wrote:
Haven't tried it yet, but: https://www.nextmilemeals.com/

Just looked at the chicken & broccoli, $14 for 540 calories, ouch.

Hiked with only these meals this year. They well justify the price. I actually felt full after eating one of these. Usually a mountain house the same size, half the price, leaves me hungry.

I actually didnít find one I didnít like.

That's good to know.  In the grand scheme of what we typically spend on a backpacking trip, a few more bucks for a good meal isn't a big deal.

Still haven't received any Carnivore Bars from my Kickstarter donation.  Apparently they've had some setbacks...

I bought Ted Naiman's book, "The P:E Diet" yesterday.  Most of the material has been available on his Twitter feed for awhile.  The general idea is that you should target protein in your diet and limit energy, in the form of either fat or carbohydrates, to achieve/maintain a healthy weight.  Seems to be working pretty well for me, losing weight without much exercise or hunger.   https://www.amazon.com/PE-Diet-Leverage-biology-achieve-ebook/dp/B07ZC8XBGG

--------------
John
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member



Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 8106 | TRs | Pics
Location: Bellevue at the moment.
Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 03, 2019 10:04 pm 
FWIW:   I've lost 40+lbs in the last 16 months on the "eat less diet".     Low carb diets are useful as fat and protein take longer to digest than carbohydrates -- so you get a longer period of time after a meal before experiencing the sensation of hunger.    For me the most helpful thing was getting to the point where I adjusted to the concept that hunger is a feeling that doesn't require action and allowed myself to experience it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Parked Out
Member
Member


Joined: 18 Sep 2011
Posts: 508 | TRs | Pics
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Parked Out
Member
PostSun Nov 03, 2019 10:41 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
FWIW:   I've lost 40+lbs in the last 16 months on the "eat less diet".     Low carb diets are useful as fat and protein take longer to digest than carbohydrates -- so you get a longer period of time after a meal before experiencing the sensation of hunger.    For me the most helpful thing was getting to the point where I adjusted to the concept that hunger is a feeling that doesn't require action and allowed myself to experience it.

40lbs is huge - congrats!

--------------
John
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob



Joined: 16 Dec 2001
Posts: 23707 | TRs | Pics
Location: Cle Elum
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 11:47 am 
Good one Randy. Id like to be able to do that.

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

ó Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd



Joined: 05 Aug 2010
Posts: 1765 | TRs | Pics
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 12:30 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
For me the most helpful thing was getting to the point where I adjusted to the concept that hunger is a feeling that doesn't require action and allowed myself to experience it.


The next step is to realize that food is the fuel needed to do a hard days work, not the reward for doing said hard days work.

Keep the whole food concept in its proper perspective to maintain healthy body mass.

--------------
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing"  - Albert Einstein
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad
Member
Member


Joined: 09 Sep 2008
Posts: 1715 | TRs | Pics
Location: Woodinville
Navy salad
Member
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 1:06 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
...For me the most helpful thing was getting to the point where I adjusted to the concept that hunger is a feeling that doesn't require action and allowed myself to experience it.

Excellent point -- I'm working on this one myself.

Also good advice:
coldrain108 wrote:
The next step is to realize that food is the fuel needed to do a hard days work, not the reward for doing said hard days work.

I've all too often "rewarded" myself with beer & nachos after a hard hike...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon
Member
Member


Joined: 19 Mar 2015
Posts: 1073 | TRs | Pics
Location: the fitness gyms!!
BigBrunyon
Member
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 8:07 pm 
Eat big, work bigger. That the deal here

--------------
YOU NEVER KNOW!!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
   All times are GMT - 8 Hours
 Reply to topic
Forum Index > Food & Grub > Low Carb/Keto Backpacking
Jump to:   
Search this topic:

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
   Use Disclaimer Powered by phpBB Privacy Policy