Forum Index > Gear Talk > Insulated pants & Jacket vs. Sleeping bag
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jonathan

Jonathan
PostFri Mar 04, 2005 12:31 pm 
I read somewhere yesterday an old post while reading about HH. Someone mentioned that they were trying/using insulated pants & jacket around camp and just sleeping in this arrangement at night in the Hammock. When nature called they took their sleep system with them. This has really got me thinking; I use the Rock Wren from FF for the same reason. It is roomy enough for me as I toss and turn at night and with the center zip and drawstring closure bottom I can walk around in it though not far or easily. I also carry an light insulated jacket mostly because I love to sleep with my ARM's OUT. I put on gloves and if I get to cold I just pull them in. I have looked at the FF Vireo but it would be like tying my feet together and you can't walk around in it. The Insulated Jacket and Pants (with some booties) would make a very flexible sleep system and you could walk around in them all evening. With some snaps to connect them together I think this would work nicely, and I'm curious if the person that posted the original has had any problems with this setup, or anyone else that may have tried something like this? I am a very warm sleeper and even my Rock Wren is usually way to much for me. I often just pull it over my legs and put on a fleece cap to sleep so I'm not sure I would need really think pants.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostFri Mar 04, 2005 12:34 pm 
There are some people who do that with there Gerbing clothing thats made here in Union. Its not something your going to pack obviously, but would be nice for car camping. Not really on target, but just to throw it out.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Mar 04, 2005 1:09 pm 
I think it's a good question. "Wearing" your sleep system becomes more and more like sleeping in your clothes. If that's something you can do fairly comfortably, you should be fine. Me, I like a sleeping bag.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Fiddleback

Fiddleback
PostSat Mar 05, 2005 9:24 am 
I may be the one you referred to... Last year, as I planned for my first nights in a hammock, I could see that using a sleeping bag was going to be an 'interesting' learning process. Then others, especially Ryan Jordan at Backpacking Light, got me thinking about incorporating clothing into my sleep system. Since I carry cold weather clothing all the time I was able to put it to double use and leave the sleeping bag at home...and saved 2-3lbs biggrin.gif I'm talking about three-season backpacking in the Northern Rockies, i.e., it's common to hit freezing at night after suffering through some really warm days. I've tried to set up my system to be comfortable in the mid-20sF. I wear Integral Designs' Dolomitti jacket w/hood and Denali pants. These are Polarguard insulation with fair water and wind resistance. To these I add a base layer, a fleece balaclava, down booties with fresh, dry socks, and fleece gloves. My pad is from Oware; 1/4" plastizote, 40X60". Sometimes I cover the pad with a thin fleece throw from Campmor (still experimenting). I've been comfortable at 28F or a bit colder on the trail and did three hours at 22F in the back yard. Although it was boredom that sent me inside during that experiment, I did feel some coolness coming through the pad (I believe this is the limit for this system). There's been no need for snaps to keep things together...the jacket and pants complement each other and there's no gaps at the waist. I put the booties on and then pull on the pants. This ensures there's no gaps there and again there's no need for snaps. As I posted before, an unanticipated benefit was getting up at night. I didn't have to get partially dressed and open up a nicely warmed sleeping bag for a nature call. All I did was get out of the hammock. Coming back to the hammock I didn't have to 'get warm again.' The same applys for getting up in the morning...get out of the hammock, get some hot drinks and breakfast, and then dress for the trail in the later, warmer temps. It's all worked well for me. I've had some cold toes occasionally but I think part of that is hammock hanging and most of that is Boomer-aged circulation. I also failed to use a pad/insulation under my feet. Won't do that again! This year I'm trying a quilt. I didn't use a cover before and missed the benefit (psychological, at the least) of having something to pull up over my shoulders. Of course, it should really extend the comfort range. I'm also looking into upgrading the pad but I'm not sure that's necessary with a 25F temp goal/safety minimum. All in all, I'm very happy with the set up. I've been comfortable, adapting to the hammock was really easy and I saved a bunch of pack weight. With the exception of the down booties, everything else in the sleep system I normally carry (the pad changed...with the hammock, the pad is much lighter than what I used on the ground). The big question this year will be about the quilt. It's quite possible I'll be able to sleep with less on. Looking back, I realize I never have used that 'just-in-case' cold weather clothing on the trail, just in the hammock. Part of that has been luck, part has been the recent wierd weather. But because I'm in the Northern Rockies I feel I still have to carry the cold weather clothing April through October as a matter of safety and preparedness (I'm just getting back into backpacking after a long break and packing in MT is new to me...I haven't tried our winters yet). The double use I get by incorporating the clothing into my sleep system makes me feel a whole lot better about carrying the weight. Fiddleback

"All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..." Article II, Section 3 - The Constitution of the State of Montana
salish

salish
PostSat Mar 05, 2005 10:18 am 
Jonathan wrote:
This has really got me thinking; I use the Rock Wren from FF for the same reason. It is roomy enough for me as I toss and turn at night and with the center zip and drawstring closure bottom I can walk around in it though not far or easily. I also carry an light insulated jacket mostly because I love to sleep with my ARM's OUT. I put on gloves and if I get to cold I just pull them in. I have looked at the FF Vireo but it would be like tying my feet together and you can't walk around in it.
Jonathan, there's another funny side to this, you know. Last year at the Norton S. SAR event Ross & I were camped across the road from you and right after we woke up we saw you walking around in your sleeping bag. I don't know exactly why, but it struck us as funny, and we both practically fell down from laughter watching you walking around your camp. You looked like Rocky the flying squirrel. Not trying to be a wise guy - these things make perfectly good sense. Just struck us as funny. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostSat Mar 05, 2005 2:00 pm 
I on the other hand am a very cold sleeper... and have been searching for a way to stay warm while sleeping. This summer, my boyfriend will be my backpacking partner, so i don't think there will be too much of a problem. He generates a lot of body heat... so i think he'll keep me perfectly warm if we snuggle up.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Mar 05, 2005 3:10 pm 
TMI

salish

salish
PostSat Mar 05, 2005 3:13 pm 
marylou wrote:
TMI
Ditto

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 05, 2005 3:31 pm 
marylou wrote:
TMI
Three Mile Island? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Mar 05, 2005 3:32 pm 
too much information!

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Mar 05, 2005 3:44 pm 
I dunno, actually I think it is a valid point. Originally I was looking for a really lightweight 2 person down sleeping bag just because of the shared heat factor, however I didn't want to dish out the ?$700 if I recall correctly. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't - because I tend to "thrash" around a lot and that would inconvenience the other person big time. We just sleep in all of our packed clothes for extra warmth. And besides - if you're anywhere inbetween lust and love, cuddling has more than a warmth benefit agree.gif Human factor!

Graham Weenie

Graham Weenie
PostSat Mar 05, 2005 9:34 pm 
Matable bags, with compatible zippers are the way to go. I've only heard of one 'couples bag' designed that way, but I can't remember the company.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Mar 05, 2005 9:42 pm 
This used to be the standard for lightweight climbing many years ago. You could get "expedition" down pants that would zip together to make an "elephants foot" down parka that were "expedition" weight were as warm as a sleeping bag.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Jonathan

Jonathan
PostMon Mar 07, 2005 10:50 pm 
Thanks fiddleback, yup you're the one. I don't want to spend lots of money trying this only to find out I should just stick with the rock wren that I do love. I know Salish I look like a giant blue caterpillar, but I am toasty in there. I went to FF friday to have a touch and feel of the insulated pants and even tried on a few. That epic stuff looks very interesting. The light weight ones seemed warmer than my bag, and they had some pants from Patagonia called "puff pants", plus I have seen the "chugach" from Mountain Hardware that might work as well, and are not down. decisions, decisions, decisions! Trouble is I don't want to spend $$$ and find out I don't like it, BUT a FF worker told me they rent the pants for $18 bucks..........Ok so I can try it, if I want to put on some elses sweaty stinky pants for a night, we'll see. I do think it would work for me, so if I get working on my tax return maybe I can scrape enough together to plunk down some cash to experiment. As for sleeping partners: my wife is a very cold sleeper (feet are ice cubes) she gets her own bag so she can't stick them on me!!!