Forum Index > Trip Reports > Scotchman Peak Idaho (03/05/2005)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Spotly

Spotly
PostFri Mar 11, 2005 7:09 am 
Another Scotchman Peak report. Short report: The road to the TH is now closed. Long report: I took Friday off to go hiking over in Idaho. The drive from Spokane to Clarkfork (to the TH) took only about 2 hours but I got a late start. I arrived to find that the road had been gated off due to the muddy conditions. Given that the TH was 2.6 miles from the gate, I decided that it would be pushing it to make the round trip to the summit before dark. Saturday morning at 5:30, Teri and I had the bikes loaded into the truck and were off for a second attempt. The road wasn't too bad because it was frozen but we still had to push the bikes for much of the way to the TH. From the TH, the "100 hikes" book says it's 3.5 miles and 3700 feet to the summit. We were able to follow the trail for about 1/3 of the way up then ran into deep snow. After putting on the gaiters, we made a direct shot up the ridge to the summit. We crossed the route of the Termite expedition at one point but didn't see their tracks again until near the top. Startled one moose (I think we were more startled though) and heard another one cross the ridge in the deep snow behind us. It's amazing how they get through the deep stuff like that. The surface layer was pretty solid and we only fell through a few times on the way up. As soon as we reached the upper ridge, the wind picked up. We followed the Termite and goat tracks to the summit and ate a quick lunch before heading back down. As we turned around to take a last look at the summit, a bald eagle flew right over the top of it. We watched it soar around for a few minutes then headed down the ridge. The snow was softer and we post-holed much of the way down. It was nice knowing that the bikes were waiting to carry us the last few miles. Even though the road had turned to a muddy mess, we were able to ride the bikes for at least 2 miles of it. I started my mountaineering class last week (yippee!) so I stuffed the pack with 30 pounds of basically useless stuff to help prep for that. About halfway up, I was tempted to see if Teri would haul it the rest of the way. I think she can read my mind because I kept getting nasty looks from her. She's such a trooper - this was the roughest hike she's been on and not a single wimper. What a great hiking partner. (Pictures)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri Mar 11, 2005 10:30 am 
Excellent report Spotly--and you have a pet tick now at home to share with neighbor kids and teach it tricks too? (ticks were thick in all those areas last summer...as is most years I'd assume). Quick note since you live that close to those areas...if you get a chance you really need to make sure you do the hike in to Little Ibex Lake in the Cabinets between Hwy 200 and Troy/Libby. It is a fairly tough hike but if you did this peak you'll have no problem just hiking to a lake. It was one of the most scenic places throughout the entire Inland NW Dogs Hike book.....really nice.

Cascade Dave
Livewire Blend

Cascade Dave
Livewire Blend
PostFri Mar 11, 2005 11:01 am 
Cool pics! (and your site loads them fast!) I like the views into Montana as well as the birds landing in the water. Can't stand the ticks. (Been bitten one too many times, I guess.)

Poorly Planned Expeditions - Founded 2001
Spotly

Spotly
PostFri Mar 11, 2005 1:52 pm 
Thanks for the comments. That's funny that Alan mentions Little Ibex Lake. I had planned on heading up there this Saturday or Sunday but wound up having to head over to Seattle Saturday then do one of the Mountaineers class hikes on Sunday instead. Looks like it will be a few more weeks before I can do Little Ibex. I yanked that one up on my mapping software in 3D mode - looks like an excellent hike if you can get across the river. I hear it can be rough this time of year.