Forum Index > Trail Talk > Lesson Learned
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 11:05 am 
This was in the Wenatchee World. Don't know if it was in the Seattle paper first. Hope you can read it. A Close Call

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Joey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 11:42 am 
one last item to add to the list,,,,,,never get lost, hiking always take a look back trail and notice something for a reference,that big rock to the side or a mark on a tree,,, getting to far out,things look the same back track, dont press on, you should be able to follow your trail back, and,,,,, never get to far ahead of yourself.. you think you can do more,,, slow down, stop, rest.....time to call it quits for the day...get out!!!

Exmoor

Exmoor
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 2:39 pm 
Quote:
5. If you are in the woods frequently, it would be wise to consider buying a GPS tracking device. There are some that have an emergency button, that will get your GPS coordinates and notify the appropriate authority anywhere in the world.
Excellent article, but I find it interesting that the author skips the most cost effective GPS tool that most people are already carrying around in their pocket. With the right app essentially any smartphone will easily track where you've been and allow you to easily find your way back to your starting point. I use Backcountry Navigator on Android which lets you download offline topographic maps when you have internet and works great. Not necessarily a replacement for a map and compass, but very simple and easy to use.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 3:10 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
time to call it quits for the day
calling it "quits" is not always an option. I went on a "3 hour tour" yesterday looking for an off trail lake and got off track. Since I was close to home I did not take overnight gear and the temps were going to be below freezing, not to mention family members freaking out and calling S&R.....so I kept walking for about 10 miles down a logging road and made it home just at dark. I probably would have survived the night with a fire and a decent amount of clothing, but it would have been a long and miserable night. Most of us are capable of walking 20 miles+ if need be and I had a head lamp so... Note: to self, always take overnight survival gear, no matter the hike.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Anne Elk, Lindsay, brewermd
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 2:12 pm 
That was a really good first-person news story, Treeswarper; thanks for posting it. Very instructive to hear from the hiker himself what the experience was like, and recounting the mistakes he made. It reminded me of the never-found Puget Sound Mycological Society elder. She made many mistakes: told no one she was going anywhere, went alone, and likely not equipped with the essentials for surviving bad weather overnight: Six years later, the mystery of Hildegard Hendrickson remains

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 2:26 pm 
that is why you don't eat the mushrooms until you get back to safety... peace.gif cool.gif My one disorientation story involved herbal intoxicants, competitive extraction (fishing) and not knowing the lay of the land. Luckily I remembered the #1 concept when disoriented; stop and wait for your head to clear from the panic before moving in any direction. Then I figured out how to get back to where I wanted to be. Luckily I'm a human GPS unit...except in the Goat Rocks - what kind of weird magnetic energy is happening over there?

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.

zimmertr
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 3:55 pm 
Mushroom hunters get lost easily and my theory is that they are intensely looking at the ground and not looking elsewhere. I can do the same berry picking but I make myself pay attention and it's usually up or down. Flatness is easier for me to get misplaced in, so I need to have a compass along, or pay attention to the sun if possible. Today's little jaunt into the woods turned out to be more difficult than planned. The logging changed things drastically--more roads were put in, trail numbers and markers were gone as were memorable rocky spots. We did just fine relying on memory of terrain instead of trail markers.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Slim, rossb
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 9:44 am 
I cannot open it- paywall pops up. frown.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'