Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Pugh conditions 4-25-05
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostWed Apr 27, 2005 10:42 am 
Wanted to post this report in case anyone was thinking about heading up there anytime soon. FS rd 2095 is open and free of snow to the trailhead (small turnout). No snow on trail until approx 200ft below the basin below Stujack Pass. We used snowshoes up to Stujack, but this slope is melting out fast. Steep snowslopes beyond the pass to the beginning of the ridge. The S. side of the ridge is melted out, but we only were able to walk on the trail through one section. Solid snow north of the ridge crest. From the saddle at the end of the ridge, the rocky scramble is melted out, as well as many portions of the trail above. There are, however several very steep snow slopes above which should be approached with caution as they are very exposed, with bad runouts. I had to downclimb 2 of these facing the slope for security. Spectacular day, blue skies, great views up.gif Bring your ice axe!
pugh 8
pugh 8
steep snow slopes on upper mtn.
steep snow slopes on upper mtn.
pugh 3
pugh 3

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Trevor

Trevor
PostWed Apr 27, 2005 10:49 am 
Was considering it, thanks dicey.

dkemp
DoxManDude

dkemp
DoxManDude
PostWed Apr 27, 2005 11:35 am 
Nice pics, Dicey. Looks like y'all had a good 'ol time!

Get up early, go all day, come home tired.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Apr 27, 2005 1:14 pm 
When you were hiking up to Stujack Pass you were directly on top of a major fault line, the Straight Creek. The rocks to the west originated some 80-190 kilometers south. So some of us will wind up visiting Mt Pugh if we like it or not.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostWed Apr 27, 2005 3:47 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
When you were hiking up to Stujack Pass you were directly on top of a major fault line, the Straight Creek. The rocks to the west originated some 80-190 kilometers south. So some of us will wind up visiting Mt Pugh if we like it or not.
Ok, this is kinda creepy, but regarding this fault line, I never knew about this until now, but when I was sitting at a prime vantage point high on the flanks of the mountain enjoying the views, I thought I felt ...like a tremble...in the rock. Now it might have just been me doing the trembling, but all of the sudden I thought, "Gee, it would really suck if an earthquake struck right now". Now I don't go around thinking how being in a certain place or doing a certain thing would be bad during an earthquake, in fact, I don't hardly think of earthquakes at all, which is why this information is a little startlin' to me. eek.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 27, 2005 3:56 pm 
The wes face of Mt. Si is a large fault scarf also. In the lase earthquake a huge flake broke loose. Kinda wonder what it would have been like to be up there then eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Keeperguy2

Keeperguy2
PostWed Apr 27, 2005 4:36 pm 
Difficulty
Besides the physical difficulty, how does this climb compare in technical skill? I was reading the forest service website which gave a brief overview of the trail and it said that past Stujack Pass hikers without climbing experience should turn around. Is an iceaxe and maybe some instep crapons sufficient to summit?

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Apr 27, 2005 4:56 pm 
If you prefer the snow to rock, now's your chance. This year the route should be clear even earlier than last year. If you're sorta hesitant, you could wait a few weeks and have clear sailing.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostWed Apr 27, 2005 9:40 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
The wes face of Mt. Si is a large fault scarf also. In the lase earthquake a huge flake broke loose. Kinda wonder what it would have been like to be up there then
My wife was a teacher at North Bend Elementary at the time of that quake and her kids were out at recess. Several of them worked hard to convince her that the big chunk of Mt. Si that broke off was what caused the earth to shake, not the quake. lol.gif