Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Serene
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostSat Apr 30, 2005 8:26 pm 
Yeah, I know most of you have been there but today was the day I lead the Mountaineer conditioning group up there. Most everyone did fine, except me. The bloody stairs really wiped me out going up, that plus the humidity in the air. I was really going strong until I hit the steps and from there it felt like a workout until I got on terra firma again. Does anyone else have trouble with stairs?? I have a short pace so I found myself having to take a couple of steps for what normal hikers would only need to take on step for .... Anyway despite the damned steps we all got to the lake just fine -- there were some "rabbits" that got there about 10 minutes ahead of the "middle group" and a friend of mine was rear guard and brought up the last two. There were not that many people at the lake today -- perhaps my warning sufficed and kept people away. The rabbits got there in 1.45 minutes, the middle group (I was in that group) got there about 5 minutes later, and the rear guard and a slower member of the group got there about 20 minutes after we got to the lake. Last time I was there they had not built the little foot bridge across the first little stream (that can be be deep after heavy rain or snow melt) after you leave the trailhead. Also, when I was there before they had not built the trail (at least not officially) to Lunch Rock. That was a nice surprise. We had lunch there, of course. Biggest highlight of the hike today was the rockfall/avalanche we heard followed by the staccato of rockfall. No good views of Index but I rather like the mountains when they are only half-dressed at times rather than fully exposed. No problems with break-ins at the trailhead. Some of us stopped at the Dutch Cup (almost totally empty) then we drove back to Start-up and walked around town, checking out the sales in the gear shop and such. Fun day but I'm "knackered". Karen
Hikers at Lake Serene
Hikers at Lake Serene

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Apr 30, 2005 8:40 pm 
I just talked with another person who was going to go up there, I was up there this winter, the only one at the time, a quick day slam DURING THE WEEK and yes, I sat alone and enjoyed the avalanches and rocks falling as they echoed about the cirque. Mt. Index was in full view that day. The bridge was in and across it the trail to the viewpoint W was great to. A must do hike on Rt. 2, I can't wait to take my daughter up there. Myself, I like long and high hikes and I thought it was a workout, most of the gain coming after the falls. Everytime we drive by there I find myself in the oncoming lane while looking at that mountains. Does this state rock or what ! wildernessed hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Apr 30, 2005 9:15 pm 
That's a nice picture Karen. up.gif I don't like the stairs either as they force you to take steps that might be unnatural for your particular gait.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Apr 30, 2005 11:27 pm 
I'm probably the only person in King County who hasn't been to Lk Serene. I'm a loser. I enjoyed the picture, thanks.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Yet

Yet
PostSun May 01, 2005 2:35 am 
I was there last Wednesday; my hiking partner and I had the place to ourselves! It was so beautiful and serene. Some of the stairs were very high!

McPuck

McPuck
PostSun May 01, 2005 8:46 am 
Hi Karen, I was up at the lake yesterday too. I spoke to people with your group several times, however, I got the feeling like we were crashing your party...Were you guys pissed about something? Mostly I just got stares. If you regularly lead groups into the wilderness, I'd like to offer a suggestion. Please tell your people to use the toilet facilities provided, rather than the trail that is 50' from the lake...

If we had some ham, we could have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs???
Karen

Karen
PostSun May 01, 2005 10:51 am 
McPuck, Crashing our party? I never got that impression at all but I wasn't always hiking with the group. I was in the middle of the group with several speedy folks ahead and a couple of very slow folks in the rear. Where were you at the lake? Were you on the Valley Overlook? Were you the folks with the black and white dog? If so, I remember we spoke to that group and there were no tensions. A few of us did go over there (to the overlook) in an attempt to get some photos and I do recall passing a couple of people without saying anything there at the overlook but as far as I know, nobody was pissed. With one exception: me. I was having trouble with the steps (leg cramp) and if anyone passed me at that point I wasn't my usual Mary Poppins self. As for toilets, I don't know anything about that either. As far as I know the folks in the group know about that kind of thing and don't need to be told but I could be wrong. As it turned out several of the hikers that turned out for the hike didn't seem to know they needed a NW Forest Pass which kind of surprised me. Karen

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostSun May 01, 2005 11:34 am 
Karen wrote:
I was really going strong until I hit the steps and from there it felt like a workout until I got on terra firma again. Does anyone else have trouble with stairs??
Haven't been there yet, but if the stairs kicked your butt, then they'll triple-kick mine.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun May 01, 2005 12:20 pm 
I too get worn out much more easily by stairs such as those on that trail. I think it is most noticeable on that trail since there are a lot of stairs and most of the rest of the trail, the first half and then that last bit before hte lake is relatively flat and easy going. I'm not exactly in the greatest shape but even still, I find that just the movement is much more strenuous on both the calves and quads then regular hiking even on decent uphill trails. I'm not sure if it is lifting the legs up at a higher angle or the way I push off or what but regardless stairs are more tiring for me at least. I'd much rather have a good 20% grade switchbacking trail than stairs in general.

Karen

Karen
PostSun May 01, 2005 2:52 pm 
Eric, I couldn't agree more. I consider myself to be in good condition but today my calf muscle is just on the verge of cramping and has been all day and I believe it is due to the stairs. A few stairs -- fine -- but there are too many on that trail, too close together, and as you say, all on the steep section after the nice warm-up of that first mile or so. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I am someone that seldom gets an injury or a problem and I'm just steamed about those bloody stairs. The staircase is built for giants or those with very long legs and the ability to take "big" steps. I hike 2-3 times a week and have recently done hikes such as Mailbox, the Old Si trail, etc. with not even the hint of leg cramps or fatigue. Have thought about "other" things that may have caused the problem with the steps. I may have started out too fast -- something I usually don't do but because it was a "conditioning" hike I did that. Also, almost as soon as I started hiking I realized I was too warm in my polypro tights but because I was leading the group, I didn't take the time to change. That caused me to sweat profusely and though I drank water, I was dehydrated for the rest of the day (that may have contributed to the cramps as well as the stairs). I should be OK in a couple of days but I'll probably never go back to Lake Serene again unless I can relocate the old trail which I believe is easier than the new one (despite its hazards). Karen

McPuck

McPuck
PostSun May 01, 2005 3:33 pm 
Hi Karen, I was the guy in the black fleece and hat and my friend had a red bandana. Maybe the older gentleman I spoke to was just tired. No big deal...

If we had some ham, we could have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs???
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 01, 2005 8:49 pm 
Nive pic and report Miss. Karen. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon May 02, 2005 5:22 pm 
nice report. I will be soloing this trip tomorrow and hope for some good weather. up.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley