Forum Index > The Trading Post > 6534/6520+/7040/The Parks/6632/Mount Winthrop/7604 6/17-19/2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jun 21, 2023 11:24 am 
Went out by myself. Walked 51 miles in three days. Castle Pass had 5 tents there including mine! Probably about 25 PCT thru hikers also came through at this time to finish. Lotsa people by my standards. From Castle Pass I went west on the boundary trail to do three peaks: 6534/6520+/7040. Easy. Just as easy as giving your bank information to someone so you can win the Nigerian lottery money. Eventually there comes a price...Peak 6632. I then moved camp to a campsite about 200 meters west of the main creek in Frosty Basin on the southeast side of Mount Winthrop. I continued following the boundary trail until the first major switchback and then went crosscountry to the "supposedly" trail to Heather Lake. This trail is actually NO MORE to Heather Lake east of Mount Winthrop. NADA. Fire has decimated the entire area. Nothing exists. Hands became black from soot and feet were choked with soot too making its way into the boots. Make your own way to the ridgeline col southeast of Heather Lake. From there a trail can somewhat be seen towards "The Parks". The further you go along the more remnants of the trail can be seen. Eventually "The Parks" and the meadows are glorious. I had this area all to myself. Not an animal to be seen and I took a nap. I eventually made my way easily to the summit of Peak 6632 where the register was there of Fay P, Jim B., and Steve F. from 2012. Back to "The Parks". The weather on this Sunday was pretty nice. I retraced by way back to Frosty Basin and camp for the night. Next morning on Monday I went up to south ridge of Mount Winthrop attaining the col which is just north of point 7020 on the USGS map. Scrambled up Mt. Winthrop. It started snowing. Dry graupel. Nothing stuck to me and I never got wet...mostly cloudy. I then traversed over to Peak 7604. Mostly avoiding the pinnacles along the ridgeline northwest of point 7496 on the USGS map by staying to the west of that particular ridgeline. I eventually dropped the pack and scrambled up the south ridge of Peak 7604. No cairn on the summit. NEPA. That was weird. So I put up a cairn. Does anyone know if this peak has evern been summitted before? I can not seem to find any information. I then came down a gully that was about 200 meters south of the "7" on the USGS map towards the PCT. This gully gave the best hassle free access to get to the PCT per satellite photos. Eventually you do reach "the bush" and I stayed just to the south of the major vine maple jungle and experiencing normal brush down to the PCT. Like I said 51 miles of walking per Caltopo.com over three days. Lotsa miles to the feet. Only walked across a small patch of snow the entire time.

Art is an adventure.

RichP, Pyrites, Gimpilator, NWtrax, Opus
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostWed Jun 21, 2023 1:19 pm 
I'd buy that for a $1

idoru
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Jun 21, 2023 1:35 pm 
Did you see much fire damage? Looks like The Parks is pretty unscathed.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Jun 21, 2023 4:47 pm 
Glad you got out there, Stefan. Lots of miles and lots of pks. Nice work

Eric Eames