Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > water borne algae bloom
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Jul 29, 2023 6:47 am 
BOZEMAN, Mont – Following the announcement of Harmful Algal Bloom (HAB), dog owners recreating at Hyalite Reservoir are advised to keep their furry friends away from the water this weekend. On July 26th, Gallatin County announced Harmful Algal Bloom was identified and microcystin was detected at the boat launch area at Hyalite Reservoir in the Custer Gallatin National Forest. Recreators are encouraged to avoid swimming and to keep an extra close eye on their pets as they can be affected by HAB toxins by drinking affected water, licking their fur or eating algae. With a high of 89 degrees this weekend, thousands of visitors are expected to turn out and take advantage of the beautiful forecast. Friends of Hyalite President, Peter Bennett, noted that the biggest concern to the visitors is keeping themselves and their pets out of the water. The group that is affected the most will be dogs and those looking to swim, he says. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration if untreated, cyanobacterial poisonings are usually fatal in dogs.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jul 29, 2023 9:46 pm 
I wonder how many lakes have this issue? How widespread is it? My cats don't like swimming so this hasn't been an issue for me.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message