Forum Index > Gear Talk > Packraft comparison. Minus Alpaca
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DadFly

DadFly
PostFri Sep 08, 2023 8:27 am 
My daughters and I get out on our rafts a few times a year. We have a newer Curtiss, 24oz, a Klymit 45 oz, and the Rapid raft, 3lbs 13oz. If I am going out by myself for an overnight or longer, I throw in the Curtiss. I had one I got from a garage sale for $2.50 that was the single floor. Made in 1976 and finally stopped holding air. I got my money's worth! I bought a later one on NWHikers this year. If I am going on a day hike like Mason lk or Snow lake, I throw in the Klymit. It is durable, small and reasonably light. If I am going out on a longer trip and will be counting on carrying my full pack etc, I use the Rapid Raft. It is Durable and slightly bigger than the other two. I had to duct tape a Camelback hose to the valve to keep filling it with air but rolling it up neatly and tightly helps slow down the leaky air. The open front design for inflating works really well. If I had to choose just one raft it would be the Curtiss hands down. I have carried a full pack and hiking poles the length of Hyass with help from the wind. The waves lapped in a bit but I inflate my air mattress fully for the floor. I used my rain coat as a sail. What fun!! Having all three plus a couple five pound Coleman rafts allows me to go out with the whole family and out of town guests. My wife's niece from Florida was blown away by the paddle around Snow Lake!

"May you live in interesting times"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostSat Sep 09, 2023 7:25 pm 
I have a nice 3# raft with a 300# capacity made by Flyweight Designs, but it appears they are not in business anymore. Probably not as good as the original Curtis rafts, but still gets the job done.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message