Forum Index > Trip Reports > Golden Lakes Loop, 9/21-9/23/2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jaysway

jaysway
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 12:50 pm 
I took a little bit of time off to do my first larch hike of the season. I knew that this was an early time to go, and without recent trip reports for the area I assumed that larches would be far from peak, but enough would hopefully be turning to get some gold or electric yellow color up high. This gamble mostly paid off, and being back in the presence of turning larches is a comforting feeling, almost like coming home after a year away. Like many trips, I already want to return and check out places that I did not get a chance to see such as Hoodoo Pass and Mount Bigelow, Merchant's Basin, and Sunrise Lake. If you want to see what the area looks like with larches closer to peak, I recommend checking out Lazarus's report. Thursday I camped at Boiling Lake, and reached my goal (barely) of making it to the top of Horsehead Pass for sunset. The only bummer was I got to Upper Eagle Lake late enough that it was almost completely in shadows. I would love to come back and spend more time exploring the Upper Eagle area earlier in the day.
Upper Eagle, I want to come back and see it lit up
Upper Eagle, I want to come back and see it lit up
Tarn near Upper Eagle
Tarn near Upper Eagle
Almost at Horsehead Pass, my goal for sunset
Almost at Horsehead Pass, my goal for sunset
Boiling Lake
Boiling Lake
Friday There were two other people camping at Boiling Lake, and once they packed out I didn't encounter another person for the entire day. I scrambled Cheops, which was fun, and enjoyed lounging up there for over two hours. I watched sunset at Chelan Summit, and camped as the pass overlooking Cooney Lake SE of Switchback. It was a cold night.
It was cloudy in the morning, so I slept in at Boiling Lake
It was cloudy in the morning, so I slept in at Boiling Lake
Heading up Wiebe Pass on a well-defined trail
Heading up Wiebe Pass on a well-defined trail
Cheops, getting up here was a fun scramble
Cheops, getting up here was a fun scramble
On the other side of Wiebe Pass
On the other side of Wiebe Pass
Near a large horse camp
Near a large horse camp
I left the trail and hiked XC to the pass
I left the trail and hiked XC to the pass
At the pass between Old Maid and Switchback
At the pass between Old Maid and Switchback
Sunset at Chelan Summit
Sunset at Chelan Summit
My model for the evening
My model for the evening
Saturday I woke up before sunrise and hiked up Switchback. On my hike out, I encountered my first people at of the day at Cooney Lake, and then saw lots of people (mostly mountain bikers) hiking in as I hiked out.
Sunrise while hiking up Switchback
Sunrise while hiking up Switchback
Looking NW from Switchback
Looking NW from Switchback
Sunrise Lake was in and out of the clouds
Sunrise Lake was in and out of the clouds
Hiking down to Cooney Lake. This section had the best larch forest of the entire hike :D
Hiking down to Cooney Lake. This section had the best larch forest of the entire hike biggrin.gif
Cooney Lake
Cooney Lake
On my way out, until next time...
On my way out, until next time...

silence, Nancyann, Prosit, Kenji, thename, zimmertr, rubywrangler, Bowregard, Now I Fly, Waterman, jstern, Get Out and Go, Tom
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 4:02 pm 
Uh oh. Do we have a bird entry for the calendar?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!

jaysway, John Mac, Now I Fly
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 9:01 pm 
Great Photos jaysway, Your Ptarmigan photo reminded me of an experience on our Stiletto Lake trip. We were approaching the Lake basin from below with my daughter in the lead and her friend close behind and me pulling up the rear. As we traversed the slope they startled a Ptarmigan right next to them. Thank goodness the slope wasn't steep because I swear they were so startled they would have fallen off otherwise.

jaysway
jaysway

jaysway
PostFri Oct 13, 2023 4:05 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Uh oh. Do we have a bird entry for the calendar?
I wouldn't be opposed to creating a bird category biggrin.gif.
Bowregard wrote:
Great Photos jaysway, Your Ptarmigan photo reminded me of an experience on our Stiletto Lake trip. We were approaching the Lake basin from below with my daughter in the lead and her friend close behind and me pulling up the rear. As we traversed the slope they startled a Ptarmigan right next to them. Thank goodness the slope wasn't steep because I swear they were so startled they would have fallen off otherwise.
That's funny! I am glad they weren't on a steep slope. I have been completely startled many times by ptarmigan (and of course, my presence startled them). I approached this one very slowly and was able to take a bunch of shots of it before it flew away.