Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Rainier: Emerald Ridge Loop (10/30/23)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Oct 31, 2023 8:04 pm 
October has been a sweet month in the park, with forays into the west side of Rainier that had me witnessing the pinnacle fall colors to an almost winter transition. This last trip, a full loop, started with a short bike ride from the Kautz Creek trail head to the parking spot on the West Side Road (6 miles), then walking the road to Round Pass at 4,000'. From there I hiked the Round Pass Trail to the intersection with the South Puyallup Trail, then the Wonderland up to Emerald Ridge. Much of this day was spent in snow, but it was just a few inches at most and didn't present any difficulties. The entire day was devoid of other people, completely solitary. After spending some time doing various shots with my 4 cameras and a phone, I continued on the Wonderland to the Tahoma Creek suspension bridge, then climbed up to Indian Henry's. Most of that climb was on the northern aspect of the terrain so cold snow in shadow, including a creek that was frozen over with water still flowing under the ice. Upon reaching Indian Henry's there was some low angled sun, and when I reached the intersection with the Kautz Creek trail I was happy to see some largish dude (or woman) had made the trek to Indian Henry's over the weekend and broken trail. I say largish as the boot prints were enormous, like a size 14 or more. Thanks for packing it down, whoever it was! Now I was on the southern aspect so had nice patches of sun on the sometimes steep descent on this trail down to the Kautz Creek trail head where my van awaited. It took me 9 and a half hours to complete the circuit with plenty of time to drive the West Side Road to retrieve my stashed bike, then head back to Longmire for dinner. A crisp and delightful day! Stats: 25 miles/5400' elev.
WSr Leaves
WSr Leaves
Watch your step
Watch your step
The transition
The transition
The classic cabin shot
The classic cabin shot
Tahoma Glacier terminus
Tahoma Glacier terminus
So. Puyallup low flow
So. Puyallup low flow
Old girl
Old girl
No reflection today
No reflection today
Nature is Amazing!
Nature is Amazing!
Mt. Adams and rolling hills
Mt. Adams and rolling hills
Mt Wow
Mt Wow
Low angled sun at Kautz Creek
Low angled sun at Kautz Creek
Glacier Island
Glacier Island
Footprints
Footprints
Emerald Ridge
Emerald Ridge
Emerald Ridge 2
Emerald Ridge 2
Creek below Indian Henrys
Creek below Indian Henrys
Column end bits
Column end bits
Climb to Emerald Ridge
Climb to Emerald Ridge
'Schroom colony
'Schroom colony

I desire medium danger williswall.com

Popcorn, Nancyann, Kascadia, zimmertr, jaysway, John Mac, rubywrangler, Now I Fly, BigBrunyonEnjoyerAI
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed Nov 01, 2023 7:25 am 
Great report! That sounds like just the perfect day! I've been through Indian Henry's once, via the Westside Rd. Is the trail up from Kautz Creek any quicker? Might be fun to give Pyramid Peak a go. Or, Maybe Copper, or Iron. smile.gif

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Nov 01, 2023 9:52 am 
Now I Fly wrote:
I've been through Indian Henry's once, via the Westside Rd. Is the trail up from Kautz Creek any quicker? Might be fun to give Pyramid Peak a go. Or, Maybe Copper, or Iron. smile.gif
You probably came up the Tahoma Creek trail, which has washed out enough times now to be "closed." I haven't been on it in years but I understand it's difficult going in some places, as in nonexistent. As for the peaks, I did Satulick, Iron and Copper in one day but it was a long one. Pyramid is straightforward but also a long day...well worth the views.

I desire medium danger williswall.com

Now I Fly