Forum Index > Gear Talk > Creative gear ideas..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 10:49 am 
I previously stated that I would no longer use a floorless tent, but trying to carry less weight I am rethinking this. I recently bought a Sierra Designs trekking pole tent that can be pitched with or without the bathtub floor and bug netting. I carried both on my recent trip and pitched just the rain fly on one night. Many have used a piece of Tyvek as a ground cover under your sleeping pad. I found what I think is a better option, that being a folding windshield sun barrier. They are inexpensive, light and about 7' long and also have some padding. Especially a better option when using an inflatable air pad, as they are thicker thus helping to prevent possible puncturing. Please add yours..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 11:17 am 
My daughter uses that windshield sun barrier material to make packets to hold/insulate food bags. Cut two squares, bond 3 sides, slip in a ziplock bag and fold over the edges and you have rigid insulated oatmeal (or whatever) container with a disposable liner. RE: tent. I know people who sewed mesh onto their BD Beta Light tents to keep insects out and BD eventually redesigned it to do the same thing. The original design seemed a bit silly with the Beta Bug inner mesh being almost twice the weight of the floorless original tent.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 1:14 pm 
The Gossamer Gear 1/8 foam pad folds easily. Can be used folded as a sit pad, or as siesta pad. I’ve used it for cowboy camping to protect my inflated pad. Only 3.3 ounces. I use a full tarp-tent during bug season at 27 ounces.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau

RumiDude
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 14, 2023 11:38 am 
That's a good one ^ and only about 25 bucks. This one has been mentioned here...if you have a Curtis raft, the carry bag-inflater can be used as a water bag, just need some tubing and a gravity filter. Also to save the weight of the raft paddles, one can use some cedar bark.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Oct 01, 2023 6:20 pm 
Not a creative idea, but I have been using a small down pillow mixed with extra clothes inside a stuff sack for a pillow with mixed results...so I am looking for recommendations for a backpacking pillow. I came across a Wise Owl memory foam pillow, it comes in small and large at 7 and 9 oz's. for 25 bucks. I really think a good pillow would be worth the extra weight. A friend had an inflatable type that didn't work out. Thoughts? https://www.amazon.com/Wise-Owl-Outfitters-Camping-Compressible/dp/B07C8B16GZ/ref=asc_df_B07C8B16GZ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242009928898&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1147196715521394&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021387&hvtargid=pla-892984257964&th=1

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Oct 01, 2023 11:21 pm 
I use the Sea to Summit Aeros large inflatable pillow (2.7 ounces with case) and wrap a buff around it. I use a quilt (flicker) so I use the large size. Inside a mummy bag the small size likely could stay in the hood.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Oct 02, 2023 1:21 am 
Fred Meyer had an decent looking inexpensive lightweight synthetic insulated camp pillow the last time I was there. You might want to check and see if they have one at your store. I have a similar camp pillow that I bought years ago that works pretty well and very comfy. I use my pack to elevate my head rather than a stuff sack which tends to shift. Never been a fan of memory foam pillows but YMMV. At home I sleep with a MyPillow which I really love, and also have a travel version that might also work well on hikes as it's very light, but not sure if it would be warm enough for fall hikes.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon Oct 02, 2023 6:25 am 
Several folds of a Z rest, cut to about a foot wide, make a sit pad weighing a mere few ounces. Combine that with leaning your pack (a backrest) against a rock or log and you have a reasonable backcountry chair. Also handy for kneeling while emptying the tent. Zip lock baggies are nimble water collectors, handy for thin or shallow desert water sources such as pools and rain pockets only an inch deep, or water in thin cracks. Also handy on alpine ridge tops. Snowfields there often have a lower end that is dripping. Knock off a baseball sized chunk of that denser snow for an in the bag anchor of the zip lock, bracket with rocks to keep it from tipping over. Afternoon warmth will often fill the bag with snowmelt water. Dromedary bags may be seen as a tad heavy these days but their black color makes them viable solar showers. February Grand Canyon trips often feature full sun noonish, fifty to sixty degrees air temperature. Hour, hour and a half and the water is pleasantly warm in a 4 liter Dromedary. Getting the mass of the bag as perpendicular as possible to the sun seems to help.

Off trail rambler

Waterman
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostTue Oct 03, 2023 1:35 pm 
Some uberlite kitchen gear. Gelati jar for cup/bowl with a lid for cold soaking is verra light! Bring a tough turkey roasting bag as a pot liner or to store and cook freeze-dried meals that you split into two meals. Why yes I do have a trimmed toothbrush, why do you ask? Two 7 ounce 3/4 length pads are luxuriously thick and still under a pound.

illegitimi non carborundum!
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Oct 03, 2023 9:45 pm 
“Two 7 ounce 3/4 length pads are luxuriously thick and still under a pound” A regular Neo Air Pad (Full Length) is 13 ounces and R4.5. It is also 3 inches thick. The z-light pad is R2. Two of them gets R4. 1.5inches thick.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Oct 03, 2023 11:57 pm 
As someone who knows the gear I'm sayin it's all about the big name gear!! All about the NAME BRAND. You gotta just pay to play the game. Nothing competes with the Name Brand!! You gotta just PAY.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Oct 04, 2023 9:03 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
As someone who knows the gear I'm sayin it's all about the big name gear!! All about the NAME BRAND. You gotta just pay to play the game. Nothing competes with the Name Brand!! You gotta just PAY.
I have a Tarptent tent, Feathered Friends quilt and accessories from Gossamer Gear and Z-Packs. Much of the better gear isn’t in stores and they hardly spend anything on advertising. Items like sleep pads it’s hard to avoid some national brand. I definitely want name brand iso-propane cylinders! There are a lot of great cottage backpack options. I suspect most here spend time researching gear options rather than grabbing the first thing at the REI or other that would work.

PowderPawn
Candidate

PowderPawn
Candidate
PostThu Nov 02, 2023 5:24 pm 
Think about getting a hammock. It makes for a fun trip.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Nov 05, 2023 12:23 am 
Hear me out. Big hydrogen balloons. My pack weight will be 0!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Nov 05, 2023 5:49 am 
Memory foam in cold weather is like a rock. You have to warm it up with body heat for it to soften.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities