Forum Index > Pacific NW History > 1958 Sherpa Carteography maps
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Sep 28, 2023 8:35 pm 
I came across these two maps credited to "Sherpa Carteography Staff". Carteography probably should be Cartography, but it's on the map with an "e". I don't see anything searching for this group. The maps are quite early -- from 1958. Does anyone know about this group? I have a feeling the "Sherpa" might have something to do with the Praters given that they made the Sherpa snowshoes and frequented the Teanaway area. "Turnpike Peak" on this map is now Teanaway Peak. Dissension Peak just north of it is not a named peak now, although John Morrow has that as a provisional peak on Peakbagger.com with the description "CAG, likely first ascent bill and Gene Prater and company." I couldn't find this in the CAG, but there's got to be a good story there.
Stuart, Teanaway, Enchantments
Stuart, Teanaway, Enchantments
Some of the "climbing routes" on this map are a little surprising. Hibox from the north, The Tooth from Denny Creek, Commonwealth Creek directly up to Kendall Peak (but this is way before the PCT), etc.
Snoqualmie Pass
Snoqualmie Pass

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

mossbackmax, Cyclopath, Schroder, Bramble_Scramble, Now I Fly, Lightning_bug, JimK, dave allyn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Oct 08, 2023 11:34 am 
Yes, the Sherpas were a climbing club in Ellensburg led by Gene Prater. I got my start climbing with a member of this group and climbed with Prater a couple of times.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Oct 10, 2023 9:25 am 
puzzlr wrote:
Some of the "climbing routes" on this map are a little surprising. Hibox from the north, The Tooth from Denny Creek, Commonwealth Creek directly up to Kendall Peak
Access to the Tooth was easier up Denny Creek before they built Alpental in 1969 - more elevation gain but less brush. Before the snow was gone, the quicker way into Commonwealth was to start up the shoulder of Guye Peak from the rope tow across from the Washington Alpine Club lodge. All cabins and snow fences in the way now.
The Tooth 10 Oct 1969
The Tooth 10 Oct 1969
Mt Snoqualmie 10 Oct 1969
Mt Snoqualmie 10 Oct 1969
Looking down Denny Creek 10 Oct 1969
Looking down Denny Creek 10 Oct 1969

Now I Fly  mossbackmax
Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostMon Nov 06, 2023 5:54 pm 
The sherpas and cascadian club was tightly knit. In 1957 the sherpa club made ascents on Stuart, such as the Ice Cliff. They also made an ascent of what they called the South Kennedy Glacier, today's Scimitar Glacier (named for it's shape from the air looking like a Scimitar, or sword). They have some annuals with details on their climbs. They are very hard to find. See here for fascinating info on some of the Sherpa Club that was part of the Cascadian Club (started by C. E. Rusk...see tales of a western mountaineer). www.cascadians.org/resources/Documents/Annuals/Cascadians%20Centennial%20Scrapbook%201920-2020.pdf

Trip Reports | FACEBOOK

Schroder, reststep
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Nov 06, 2023 7:49 pm 
Am I correct in looking at the map that before Alpental there wasn’t even a gravel road up that side valley?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 06, 2023 9:10 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Am I correct in looking at the map that before Alpental there wasn’t even a gravel road up that side valley?
Pre-Alpental there was no road or it ended at about the Washington Alpine Club Cabin / Sahale Ski Club -- the Snow Lake trail trailhead was the same as the Commonwealth Creek / Cascade Crest trail. It was about six miles to the log cabin on Snow Lake.