Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Eastern Washington lookouts meeting, Tuesday, Dec 19th, 7 pm
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hearingjd

hearingjd
PostSun Dec 10, 2023 7:08 pm 
Good evening, After a successful launch of a group dedicated to preserving and operating fire lookouts in the Central Cascades of WA, persons on the east Side of WA have reached out to ask about setting up a similar organization to help preserve, protect, and operate fire lookouts in NE Washington, particularly in the Colville National Forest. There are a number of groups like this throughout the US-- Angeles Forest lookout association (www.anffla.org), our group (www.snoqualmielookouts.org), chapters of the Forest Fire Lookout Association (FFLA), and a variety of others. We are convinced the key to the success of these is to not just preserve, but to put these lookouts into operation as active fire lookouts, spotting fires and offering the public a chance to actually staff a lookout, not just rent one. My first question was "who from E. Washington might be interested in such a group"?. A successful group would be a 501C3, able to collect donations and grants, able to work with the CNF leadership to prioritize and then carry out repairs, and enough people to staff up the lookouts in order to protect them from vandals and to greet the public. Beyond spotting fire, one of the key missions today of the lookouts is to help interpret and explain these cool old buildings to the public. I've talked to leaders from the national FFLA and they would be supportive of a group like this. This group, potentially "NE Washington Fire Lookouts Association" would have to be member driven, with people willing do drive distances and put blood, sweat, and tears required to restore and preserve these old towers.
We've gotten some interest in a potential Fire Lookout organization in Eastern WA that would focus on supporting lookouts in the Colville National Forest so I set up a Zoom meeting on to talk this over. Please feel free to forward this or invite anyone else you think may be interested in this challenge. Primary topics we can discuss are 1) Is there enough interest to support forming a group 2) Steps involved in setting up a non-profit group or what options there are 3) What lookouts would be logical starting points 4) Next steps (reaching out to CNF?). We will record this meeting so someone can't make it, they can watch the recording Looking forward to talking to you all! Yours, John Hearing c: 206-280-3332 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Topic: Eastern WA Fire lookouts association? Time: Dec 19, 2023 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada) Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81108048737 Meeting ID: 811 0804 8737 One tap mobile +12532158782,,81108048737# US (Tacoma) Dial by your location • +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma) • +1 253 205 0468 US Meeting ID: 811 0804 8737

Hiker John

RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Dec 11, 2023 8:47 am 
Great idea John. I'm in awe of your thinking and support of lookouts in general. It's long overdue that E Washington has some sort of association to care for its spectacular lookouts. I look forward to seeing how this goes. up.gif up.gif up.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")

hearingjd
RichP

RichP
PostMon Dec 11, 2023 9:26 am 
Great idea. I'll pass the word along to some contacts I have.

hearingjd