Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Axis 5.6.05
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostSat May 07, 2005 9:13 pm 
Left the Lake Stuart TH @ 9 am. w/Ian, Doogie, and Crystal. The trail was snow free up till the Colchuck Lk. spur. From this point till the lake there were just patches of hard packed snow, mostly easy to travel on w/ a few occasional break throughs. At the N pt. of the lake we took in the beauty that enveloped us and had a snack break. Afterwards it was time to march up Mt. Axis/Pt. 7,550. We worked our way up through brush, trees, rocks, and open slopes, till we reached partial snow around 6,700 ft. The snow at this elevation was S facing, soft, and easy to move through. At 7,392 ft, we reached the W summit and realized that we were to far W and had to drop a hundred feet to the E before we where able to scramble back up and reach the true summit at 7,550 ft. Let me tell you this is one of the best seats on the planet for a 360 degree view that includes the W section of the Stuart range, Jack Ridge, Grindstone Mtn., Eightmile Mtn., Cashmere Mtn., and all else in between. There was a new register placed on the summit on the 20th. of May 2004 by Fay Pullen. I can't believe it, almost a year later and no one has been up here. Probable a well kept secret. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone. Anyways after a nice relaxing break it was time to head back. On the way out we ran into 3 people on their way to Colchuck Lake. These where the only people we saw all day long. We reached the TH at 7:15 pm. For more information about this peak, check out Randy's report 6.14.03. Heres the link: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2380&highlight=axis
Stuart Pano
Stuart Pano
Grindstone to Cashmere Pano
Grindstone to Cashmere Pano
Mt. Axis summit from the west peak.
Mt. Axis summit from the west peak.
Stuart Lake
Stuart Lake
Cashmere Mtn. & 8 Mile Lk
Cashmere Mtn. & 8 Mile Lk
Colchuck Lk. from Mt. Axis summit
Colchuck Lk. from Mt. Axis summit

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun May 08, 2005 6:42 pm 
Damn I can't take it, it's too much ! How can you do this to people, do you enjoy it, I bet you do. Thanks ! winksmile.gif wildernessed hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostMon May 09, 2005 11:12 am 
wildernessed wrote:
Damn I can't take it, it's too much ! How can you do this to people, do you enjoy it, I bet you do. Thanks ! winksmile.gif wildernessed hockeygrin.gif
Thank you for your expressive words, they truly touch my HEART.... Let me explain. A friend of mine by the name of Kevin was the first person that I spent allot of time with on the trails. I would plan the hikes and most of the times we would find ourselves on top of some mtn. with incredible views and his standard comment was "Dam it I can't believe you dragged me all the way out here for this". We would then look at each other and just laugh. Kevin died from diabetes complications and I miss the times we shared. Recently I came across an article in the magazine Backpacker (May 2005). Titled The Unbearable Lightness Of Being Scott Williamson. This story is in part about the the unlikely friendship that developed between two young men on the trail. There are many similarities in this story that I shared with my friend Kevin. This triggered allot of feelings of sadness and was hard to finish reading. This reminds me that the time we spend here may end at any moment and what we make of it is so important. So for me it's sharing what I can with the greatest good in mind and in hopes of it making a difference in someone's experience. So when you say "How can you do THIS to people, do you enjoy it, I bet you do". I say this is as good as it gets.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon May 09, 2005 11:39 am 
up.gif You know I enjoy it, and yes it is good. Thanks. wildernessed hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene