Forum Index > Trail Talk > Anybody in here skiing?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 01, 2024 6:12 pm 
There's so little snow! It's been too warm so far. I hope you're getting out, I'd love to hear about the good times so far this season.
I went out to the Methow, it was Rendezvous and Sun Mountain only.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 02, 2024 12:39 am 
I've skied in Crystal backcountry once in November, 4 times in December, three times at the Summit in December, including yesterday. The most comical bit was skiing of the Silver Fir chair, only the "black" runs are open, but there isn't enough snow to groom or even cover the trees , so the runs are mogul fields like we used to have in the 70s before grooming, except each mogul has a Christmas tree sticking out of the center. I was skiing some $50 garage sale skis , I wasn't too concerned about the rocks I hit on Golden Nugget and other places. Someone I know did the Mt Catherine loop two days ago and the trails on the Hyak side have been rolled up to grand Junction, but Ripsaw and Cold Creek just have refrozen tracks from intrepid skiers. It was brutal. No new significant snow in the forecast until Thursday, but even then the forecastis for inches not feet.. Mt Aleska near Anchorage OTH has received over 300 inches of snow so far this season, way in excess of normal.

jaysway
jaysway

jaysway
PostTue Jan 02, 2024 8:16 am 
Cyclopath have you been up Amabilis yet this season? It looks like we have a decent series of storms on tap that are predicted to drop up to five feet of snow at Alpental. Hopefully this helps to get the ski season going.

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Jan 02, 2024 10:04 am 
Been a nice break not having to drive with the slope dopes even though we need the snow pack.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jan 02, 2024 10:42 am 
Nope, not yet. Waiting for decent coverage.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Jan 02, 2024 10:46 am 
I've lived here since 2017, but this is the first El Nino year since I started getting active in the mountains and noticing the different weather cycles. What can I expect for the timeline around spring thaw? Will we get mountain hiking access earlier this year? Normally things seem like they start to open up in mid-late May. Will that shift back to the beginning of May? April, even? I understand every year is different and it's hard to predict these things. Sorry to the skiers/winter lovers out there frown.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 02, 2024 12:11 pm 
jaysway wrote:
Cyclopath have you been up Amabilis yet this season?
It's the only trail I've done this season in the Snoqualmie area. The snow is pretty good around 3k, there are a few bare patches at the bottom. I've been doing it as an evening ski to make it more interesting because the same one trail over and over again gets old quick.

Randito, jaysway, Get Out and Go
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jan 02, 2024 1:54 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
I've lived here since 2017, but this is the first El Nino year since I started getting active in the mountains and noticing the different weather cycles. What can I expect for the timeline around spring thaw? Will we get mountain hiking access earlier this year? Normally things seem like they start to open up in mid-late May. Will that shift back to the beginning of May? April, even? I understand every year is different and it's hard to predict these things. Sorry to the skiers/winter lovers out there frown.gif
You might want to read recent blog posts here: https://powderpoobah.com/ It's possible we could still have a good or average winter, but I don't think there's a way to tell.

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Jan 02, 2024 3:13 pm 
This
zimmertr wrote:
I understand every year is different and it's hard to predict these things.
and this
kiliki wrote:
It's possible we could still have a good or average winter, but I don't think there's a way to tell.
The El Nino is supposed to continue through March but then things switch to neutral. So I could see us having a poor winter, snow-wise, for January and February, but then having a huge Spring and still ending up with normal snowpack by May. Looks like some decent snowfall coming for Friday and Saturday, and more into next week. Nice low freezing levels.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jan 02, 2024 4:19 pm 
My takeaway from reading the Powder Poohbah emails/blog posts is that there isn't always a neat correlation between El Nino and PNW snow totals. I remember something like, the main thing we know is that El Nino can be full of surprises. There's also higher base temps now that are independent of El Nino. Alyeska is doing killer, if anyone doesn't mind that 10:07 sunrise and 3:54 sunset. They have lights! But that's about the only place doing good. My friends in UT, Jackson, and other places say they are hurting.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 02, 2024 5:19 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
It's the only trail I've done this season in the Snoqualmie area.
I realized this isn't true. I went to Hyak (snow park, not Nordic center) one day to try new gear without being too far from the car. The groomer came by checking on the conditions and said it wasn't ready yet. Some friends went a week ago and found it ungroomed and with barely enough snow.