Forum Index > Gear Talk > Outback vs Rav4
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostWed Jan 31, 2024 10:04 am 
I’ve been experimenting with trailhead vehicles for the last 15 years. In that time I’ve built up a Tahoe, a Yukon, and a Jeep Wrangler, all specifically for trailheads. I have also used a stock 4x4 suburban with much success. Even my wife’s car, but some places we had to get the car on three wheels. Almost any car will do, unless you’re trying to reach every trail or in adverse conditions. I access remote areas in extreme conditions so I use locking hubs and chains on all tires or limited slip(Yukon) and chains. In the winter, I keep old gear, food, and water like I would for backpacking. I get trapped sometimes but I always have what I need until I can get out. My family of three can camp in the Yukons and Tahoes without anyone knowing we’re there. Right now, I’m using a Yukon with big tires for trailheads and a Jeep Wrangler with four locking hubs for places the Yukon can’t go.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 31, 2024 12:51 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Personally I've always believed in really pushing a vehicle
The reason for having a car is so you don't have to push.

iron

iron
PostWed Jan 31, 2024 8:19 pm 
yeah, the wilderness version of the forester and outback do seem very appealing. i have seen similar feedback to opus' comment on multiple sites. critter: you must have a lot more money than i do to play around with so many vehicles. i don't have that option and also don't want to f### around in a ditch while i'm getting a winch set up to try to get my kids back home. basic safety precautions, sure. full on ORing, nope.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 31, 2024 8:33 pm 
I agree Iron, for full on off roading I am taking my dirt bike, much easier to get unstuck and will fit in tight spots. So, the Subaru has that "X-mode" gearing that does work really well on rough stuff. As I said my friend has had his Sport Trek for about 4 years with no issues at all. He talked me into changing out his spark plus, there are only 4 so how hard could it be? Hard. Watched a Youtube video, didn't look terribly bad, 3 of them were pretty easy, but the back one took me about 2 hours. Apparently you are supposed to loosen the motor mount and jack up the engine in order to clear the frame rail. I was able to change it out without doing that but it was a major PITA. I personally would go with a Toyota 4-runner or Highlander, or as I said a Tundra or Tacoma X-tra cab...my only issue with those is the 5 1/2' bed. It all depends upon how you will typically use it. Living in WWA I actually preferred my Suburban over a truck since it rains so much. If I am going to have a truck with a canopy, I might as well have a built in one that I can access through the cab. I would probably go with a Tahoe though over a Suburban as it's shorter wheelbase makes it more nimble. If by chance you do go with a Chevy, be advised that the older ones, prior to about 2008, the transmission typically fails between 150 and 200k mileage, mine blew at around 207k, about 3500 for a shop fix.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Damian

Damian
PostThu Feb 01, 2024 9:47 am 
Was considering a Rav4 a few years ago vs yet another Subaru. The exhaust routing around/beneath the rear axle bothered me as it was exposed and appeared vulnerable to damage from rocks & terrain. This concern was verified after talking to owners that used them on rough roads. Perhaps they have changed the design since.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Feb 01, 2024 2:33 pm 
Another plus for the Forester and Outback Wilderness is a full-sized matching spare tire. Much better than limping out a long dirt road on a temporary donut spare. Crosstrek Wilderness doesn't have the full sized tire though. And you can get factory installed skid plates over the oil pan and differential. I had ordered these with my car but they were apparently made in Russia and when the Ukraine war started weren't available. I think they're back now. I also liked this version still has physical controls for everything. Not a fan of the giant touch-screens in the latest Subaru models.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostThu Feb 01, 2024 3:05 pm 
Opus wrote:
I also liked this version still has physical controls for everything. Not a fan of the giant touch-screens in the latest Subaru models.
I got a 2020 Outback as a loaner from the dealer a couple years ago and that huge touchscreen was infuriating for trying to figure out how to adjust the climate control while not getting into an accident. Hopefully this "let's turn the car into an iPad with wheels" trend will reverse just like how digital cameras have physical dials again. (Why wouldn't you want to adjust things by feel so you can keep your eyes on the road??) Unfortunately it looks like of the three Wilderness models, the Outback and Crosstrek have the giant touchscreen. Inexplicably the 2024 Forester Wilderness still has knobs though.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Feb 01, 2024 3:23 pm 
Opus wrote:
Not a fan of the giant touch-screens in the latest Subaru models.
It must be difficult to see the screen on a sunny day; esp. if the screen is dusty, as mine would always be, if I had one. It's a wonder (not) they didn't think of that, and the time involved to examine the damn thing every time you needed to make an adjustment of something.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Feb 01, 2024 4:11 pm 
The new 2025 Forester also gets the giant screen unfortunately.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Feb 01, 2024 4:34 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
It must be difficult to see the screen on a sunny day
That hasn't been a problem, in practice. But the low cameras are really useful on dirt roads with giant potholes where I'm having to be careful about where I put my wheels.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 01, 2024 4:41 pm 
Another thing about the touch screens is you can ruin them if you use the wrong product to clean them. I should really go back to driving a 70's truck, so much easier to work on and less to go wrong, but they are really expensive now days.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.