Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Problem with "topic reply" email notifications
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 23, 2024 12:48 pm 
Just heard back from MCaver. Sounds like our host sent out an email in November advising that email providers were implementing stricter SPF requirements, and provided instructions on how to enable SMF for the domain mailbox. He was able to do that so hopefully this solves the problem.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 23, 2024 11:39 pm 
I tested a password reset earlier today using my gmail account without success. However later tonight I tried again and the email showed up immediately in my spam folder, so perhaps it took a while for MCaver's tweaks to start working. Hopefully you guys are getting emails now. If they show up in your spam folder be sure to mark them as not spam.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 9:48 pm 
Still working on this. Haven't heard back from MCaver since last week, so last night I submitted a support ticket with our web host to see if they could troubleshoot. They indicated the native php mail() function handles mail differently so will not be covered by the SPF authentication MCaver set up last week, and that switching to the SMTP option in the phpbb software may resolve this. Unfortunately I need to wait for MCaver to set this up.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 28, 2024 2:20 pm 
OK, I was able to set up the SMTP option to send email which should make gmail much happier. Fingers crossed this is working now. I just tested with my gmail and yahoo accounts and emails showed up immediately. Note: You may need to view topics you are watching before it will send new notifications because to the extent a notification was already sent that gmail blocked, it thinks you've already been notified once so won't send new notifications until you view the topic.

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostWed Feb 28, 2024 2:27 pm 
Definitely received no recent email notifications in spam or otherwise, and then just got an email regarding this post of yours.

Tom
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Mar 09, 2024 4:29 pm 
Is everyone getting reliable email notifications now?

bk
Route Loser

Route Loser
PostSat Mar 09, 2024 4:37 pm 
Sure am. Thank you.