Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Logbear

Logbear
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 5:45 pm 
I agree that
Quote:
voter initiative is a lousy way to manage wildlife
I also think that managing wildlife by "legislation" is a lousy way to manage wildlife. I absolutely think it should be based on science. I think I have a much higher regard for the opinions and conclusions stated by wildlife biologists from WDFW than you do. Just for the record I really don't care what CBD, or CNW say about hunting. Do these organizations even mention hunting? I couldn't find anything. I've changed my mind on a lot of things. A lot of the time I agree with Wilderness Watch. Not this time. I think Wilderness Watch is wrong on this subject. When Wilderness Watch agrees with the Cattleman's Association about something, you know something's weird. But I'm still not clear on how these 2 organizations (CNW and CBD) are involved in this hunting issue at all.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Logbear

Logbear
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 6:14 pm 
So to summarize: The answer to my question that was... "what makes it "Pretty clear that CNW and CFBD have their heads firmly implanted in their asses on this one", is because..." Dave Workman wrote:
Quote:
Voter initiative is a LOUSY way to manage wildlife. Period. End of story. You cannot manage by emotion. And that is precisely what voter initiatives on wildlife issues do.
Am I to believe that CNW or CBD is promoting voter initiatives on wildlife issues, and that's why they have there heads up there asses on this one. Are there any voter initiative's involving wildlife issues going on right now? If CBD or CNW is promoting voter initiatives on wildlife issues, I think that would be wrong.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 7:13 pm 
This rule-making change is what the issue is about While I addressed my concerns about the rule change earlier in the thread, I have to defer to Mr. Workman and WDFW on this one, irrespective of those concerns. Anything else is really superfluous to the issue. If you have questions regarding other aspects of hunting or management policies in the context of Conservation Northwest or Center for Biological Diversity, you will need to address those questions to them. I am choosing to not have to re-type statements I've already posted here. That is my choice. Thanks.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Feb 23, 2024 10:15 pm 
Friday February 23 2024 Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Public invited to submit information for ground squirrel status reports OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is seeking information from the public to inform species status reports the Department is developing about ground squirrels in Washington. WDFW is currently seeking information about Washington ground squirrel and Townsend's ground squirrel. WDFW is specifically looking for information about the species' demographics, current habitat conditions, threats and trends to populations, and existing conservation measures that have benefitted the species. "We are interested in hearing from members of the public, including non-governmental organizations, universities, private researchers, and naturalists, who might have relevant information about these ground squirrel species," said Taylor Cotten, WDFW conservation assessment section manager. "You could have valuable data, such as annual population counts or privately developed habitat management plans, that can help us better understand the conservation status of these ground squirrels in Washington." The public may submit written comments via email or by mailing Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife ATTN: Taylor Cotten, P.O. Box 43141, Olympia, WA 98504. Further public comment opportunities will be available during the development of each individual status report. All members of the public are invited to share their perspectives and participate in WDFW public feedback opportunities regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, language proficiency, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, or basis of disability. The current comment opportunity is part of a process to assess the conservation status of each species and develop foundational information to guide further recovery and conservation actions. After developing each status report, Department staff will brief the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission on each species' status and the Department's classification recommendation. Any changes to a species' classification are subject to the public rule making process. Department staff will post updated status reports to WDFW's website as they are completed. - WDFW - -- Townsend's Ground Squirrel at WDFW Townsend's Ground Squirrel at Wikipedia

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 6:47 am 
Interesting study on Predator Prey research done in Wa state https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/management/predator-prey-study

Sculpin
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 7:41 am 
Thanks for the link, Timberghost. To save folks the trouble of fishing around for the actual science like I did, here is a link to the associated publications (some of which are paywalled): https://predatorpreyproject.weebly.com/products.html Lots of goods stuff. I took this from the abstract in the first publication listed: "Elk avoided humans during the day and ~80% of adult female mortality was human caused, suggesting that humans functioned as a “super predator” in this system." I'm surprised this number is so high and would like to see how they got it but alas, paywalled. frown.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Mar 10, 2024 9:47 am 
crock wrote:
And ESPECIALLY wildlife and forestry issues should be decided by democracy because wildlife and forestry managers especially don't have knowledge and can't be trusted.
We've (forestry folks who actually went to school and studied forestry, or have years of experience working in forestry) witnessed forest management taken over by politicians and judges for some time now. And the results are???? Well, I find myself thinking about being smoked out again. That's why I had a lot of sympathy for medical professionals when Covid appeared. They have been going through the same experience. Another aside: I would sometimes like to go to public meetings here in Okanogan County but those seem to have become another place for the usual suspect groups to show extremism for their 15 minutes of idiocy. One guy brought a pitchfork with a sign on it into a wolf meeting--and made the weekly paper, and another got his picture ranting about evil gubmint at a zoning changes for water and septic issues meeting. A fire risk meeting is coming up but I don't want to experience rude people taking over. I think the septic/water meeting will be repeated. Subdivisions of property in the county are going to require larger lots, and that is apparently controversial to those who want to be able to build subdivisions for people to move here for. These same developers are hollering about not wanting to become another Seattle. Yet they want more people to move here. I don't think they've thunk it out too well. I went to a meeting several years ago to try to find out what was going to happen with water monitoring in East Lewis County. I left early, as did quite a few folks. The shouting rude people had taken over and were preaching on topics that had nothing to do with water. This whole shouting folks down movement is quite tiresome and does nothing, unless discouraging sane folks from attending is their goal.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities