Forum Index > Food & Grub > Home freeze Dryers?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Mar 12, 2024 11:23 am 
Nancyann wrote:
Any helpful updates on freeze drying? (Not dehydrating.) I do a lot of ultralight backpacking every summer and always have trouble finding lightweight freeze dried meals that are low in sodium and taste good, plus I like my own cooking best! I looked at some of the less expensive models on the internet, but am a bit skeptical of them.
We've had a Large Harvest Right freeze-dryer for 3 years now. We use it often. You get what you pay for to be blunt. As we also have a homestead we have product to dry in season as well. I run it for both trail cooking and for prepping/pantry storage.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Mar 12, 2024 12:43 pm 
Thanks for sharing your insights, Sarbar and Geography Nerd. I can think of many uses for a freeze dryer in addition to trail food for myself and also my family and friends. I was wondering if the smaller, less expensive ones are less reliable, will have to do some more research!

sarbar
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Mar 12, 2024 1:37 pm 
The Small and Medium Harvest Rights are still good. They definitely do produce less but for many people that is fine. One positive is the S and M plug in to a regular outlet and fit into your kitchen. The Large and XL are basically large appliances and need s lot of room. Stick with Harvest Right and you'll do fine!

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Mar 12, 2024 2:46 pm 
Good to know. Thanks Sarbar!

sarbar
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Mar 12, 2024 6:09 pm 
If cost and time are not a concern, then purchasing a freeze dryer and making your own meals might workout for you. I was set to get one until I had some candid conversations with several people who did a lot of freeze drying. There is a learning curve for freeze drying. There are helpful forums and groups that can mitigate some of the learning curve but still it is not always as straightforward as it seems from the outside looking in. There are also material expenses that add to the cost over and above the cost of the machine. Depending on the model and options it can be time consuming just maintaining the freeze dryer. Also they can be noisy as well as producing heat in a small enclosed space, so most people don't like having them in their house. Generally speaking, the options which simplify the maintenance and reduce noise are more expensive. In other words, freeze drying is neither a cheap hobby nor a casual hobby. Unless one is doing a lot of it, and I mean a really bunch of it, it's likely not cost-effective. Even then it takes a year or two to break even. It does offer the ability to personalize one's meals. I opted instead to buy #10 cans of individual FD goods. I then assemble my meals with the indivual ingredients along with other things. I keep an eye on prices and buy when they have sales. It's not a perfect solution as but better than FD commercial meals in both cost and meal satisfaction. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Mar 12, 2024 6:21 pm 
Eh....there isn't a huge learning curve. There used to be one, but the machines are auto now. It's only if you try to dry dumb ideas it's an issue now. The pumps on them are quiet and sealed now as well. Not like a few years back when yiu had to change oil constantly. It's knowing the basics. Cost? Yeah, it's not cheap. But, and a big but, I tend to freeze-dry items I cannot buy fd commercially. And I'm a Thrive Life rep as well, so I have a pretty good idea what's sold commercially. I fd pasta, olives, cheese I cannot get (Swiss is one), rhubarb, wild berries, artichokes and so on. I do buy commercial made fd food as well, because for example....fd sausage sucks at home. I learned to not do that. My one learning curve I suffered. Lots of cleanup. However, I dry for 6 people, have massive gardens, forage, do runs for 2 close friends who also garden and run a business connected to it (TrailCooking). If anyone is on Whidbey and wants to see it in action, I'm happy to show you.