Forum Index > Trail Talk > Highway 20 Opening 2024
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Mar 22, 2024 1:23 pm 
They're starting to plow on Monday. It'll be an early opening this year.

Now I Fly, SpookyKite89, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake

Jake
PostSat Mar 23, 2024 6:22 am 
Sweet!

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostMon Mar 25, 2024 11:08 am 
A few years ago they used to post updates on how the clearing was going on the hwy 20 webpage. Last couple of years they haven't done that. Does anyone know if updates are still available somewhere?

George Winters

George Winters
PostMon Mar 25, 2024 11:29 am 
I get updates by email every spring once the clearing starts. I am not sure how I signed up, but my email includes the following as a way to sign up: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/WADOT/subscriber/new Here is their link to photos this year: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/albums/72177720315465207 Bicycling the closed road on the weekends during this time, weather willing, is great fun.

When you are "miles from nowhere" you must have finally arrived at somewhere.

SpookyKite89
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Mar 25, 2024 4:34 pm 
Get yer bikes tuned!!

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Mar 25, 2024 8:54 pm 
Mangy Marmot, I see updates that they post on Facebook if you have access to that.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostThu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm 
Thanks. I do have Facebook, but I don't see their updates. I found the WSDOT page and am now following it. Is that where they post the updates? I don't see anything other than the initial announcement that they are going to start the clearing. It's probably too early for an update anyway.

Bronco

Bronco
PostFri Mar 29, 2024 9:26 am 
In past years they typically update weekly on Friday afternoons.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Apr 09, 2024 12:41 pm 
I believe it was WSDOT Fb page that I saw the post, but I haven't seen any updates yet. Usually they are pretty good about posting updates, and they get shared in various nature/hiking groups I'm in. But I haven't seen that much yet. I seem to remember in the past they had an email list that went out about updates, but I never took part in that.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Apr 09, 2024 3:52 pm 
Their Flickr page has photos from the 4th. Looks like they uploaded a bunch from different days on the 4th; they aren't in order. https://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/albums/72177720315465207

philfort

philfort
PostTue Apr 09, 2024 6:51 pm 
Quote:
Uploaded on April 5, 2024 Taken on March 18, 2024
Super useful (last west side update basically from 3 weeks ago).

philfort

philfort
PostTue Apr 09, 2024 7:02 pm 
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Apr 10, 2024 8:17 am 
T
philfort wrote:
Quote:
Uploaded on April 5, 2024 Taken on March 18, 2024
Super useful (last west side update basically from 3 weeks ago).
There are photos taken on the 4th (though maybe not from the spots you want); that's why I mentioned they aren't in order--you have to look at all the dates. In any case, the WTA post is more detailed.

ArcDome

ArcDome
PostThu Apr 11, 2024 7:41 am 
WSDOT sends out a weekly update, following is last week's update. The link to the Flickr Album is interesting.
Quote:
Hello fellow North Cascades enthusiasts, Week two of the 2024 North Cascades spring clearing work was a productive one. Eastside clearing crews at Liberty Bell avalanche paths The eastside crew started the week in the Cutthroat paths (milepost 165) and the D8 dozer, excavator and blower pushed west through nearly all the Liberty Bell avalanche paths this week. The crew is aiming to reach the summit of Washington Pass next week. The westside has now cleared to milepost 150, near the Easy Pass trailhead. That crew is finding a lot of debris and mud on the west side of the work, a good reminder than it’s more than just clearing snow to get the road reopened. While the crews are generally making significant progress, each season brings its own challenges and like every year, there will be additional repairs and maintenance needed to the road after snow and ice are removed before the road can be reopened. Next week, the eastside crew will also close the road between Silver Star gate (milepost 171) and Early Winters gate (milepost 178) Monday through Thursday to get some crack sealing and hazard tree removal done on that stretch of road. Closing the road allows the crew to expedite that work. Planning for SR 20 travel in 2024 Even with more to do and the reopening date not yet scheduled, many travelers are looking ahead to traveling the North Cross. This newsletter is the best place to get updates about the clearing work and where the opening date will be announced once we’ve scheduled it. And don’t forget to sign up for travel advisories, check our real time travel map and our mountain pass page to stay in the loop. Until the North Cascades opens Remember that during the week, the road behind the closure points is a work zone. For the safety of you and our crew, please stay out of the area during working hours. The road is otherwise closed and unmaintained between milepost 134 and 171, and there is no cell service on the passes. If you choose to visit the back country on the weekends, please check in on conditions with the Northwest Avalanche Center. The myth of “bike day” Oh yea, what about biking up there? We’ve shared before that it is a persistent urban myth that North Cascades Highway is “open” to bikes prior to opening for motor vehicles. We know many of you look forward to the opportunity to bike the passes. Some years, the clearing has been complete a day or two prior to the announced opening and bicycles have been able to ride the road before the gates open, but the fact is, this route is essential for freight and residents, so when the highway is ready to open, we open it for all users. If and when the timing works out to give bike riders a short heads up that the road is clear but the gates are still closed, we will share that information through this newsletter and on social media. In the meantime, please take a moment to enjoy the year’s Flickr album with pics and video of our clearing crew working in one of the prettiest work zones in the world. Safe travels and have a good weekend- Lauren Loebsack, communications 509-667-2815 North Central Region-Wenatchee Hyperlinks in this message: avalanche paths: flickr.com/photos/wsdot/5242152485 travel advisories: public.govdelivery.com/accounts/WADOT/subscriber/new real time travel map: wsdot.com/Travel/Real-time/Map/ mountain Pass page: wsdot.com/travel/real-time/mountainpasses/north-cascade-hwy Flickr album: www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/albums/72177720315465207

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu Apr 11, 2024 9:17 pm 
This is terrible, my thoughts are with the friends and family of the deceased - and with the road workers who found the person. This is a traumatizing discovery. Rest In Peace. https://methowvalleynews.com/2024/04/11/body-found-during-north-cascades-highway-clearing/

mosey  fourteen410  Hiker Mama