Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backyard Wildlife
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Apr 15, 2024 10:35 pm 
I used to see raccoons in the back yard semi regularly, but haven't seen on for more than 10 years probably. Until just now. This guy tripped the motion sensor flood light, then strolled right up to the sliding door by the dining room. We sat there and looked at each other from about 2 feet away for several minutes. Not quite sure what was going on, probably has been fed by someone in the neighborhood. It was almost like a pet dog or cat just waiting to be let in the house.

meck, Anne Elk
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 3:11 pm 
This Northern Alligator Lizard likes sun bathe in the same location everyday.This species can drop off its tail if provoked as a defensive mechanism. The wriggling remnant will hopefully distract a predator long enough to allow an escape.

Anne Elk, Pyrites
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 3:43 pm 
I've been in this house 26 years. Only during the last 4 years have we had bunnies around here. We were overrun with raccoons for years, but I haven't seen one in months! I think the Park closing off "Five Mile Drive" had a lot to do with that - it stopped people from driving around the loop and feeding the raccoons. There's a huge possum that cruises through every night. He cleans up anything any of the other critters left behind. The crows are out on the wires in back waiting for me to wake up every morning. They got part of an English muffin this morning. The bunnies are here any time day or night - they munch on the sunflower seeds that drop down out of the bird feeder.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Anne Elk
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 6:10 pm 
Same up my way Ski. Never had rabbits til maybe the last 5 years or so, now they are all over my neighborhood. Several mile radius. They are at Boeing Creek Park and Richmond Beach. I see them almost daily. I thought they hibernated, but this winter I kept seeing them regularly. They'll eat carrots and probably other veg if you toss it out for them, but are perfectly happy eating grass and weeds (dandelions are appreciated).

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 7:45 pm 
^ They seem to be perfectly happy with sunflower seeds and grass. It's odd that their arrival and increase in numbers seems to have directly coincided with a significant drop in raccoon population (at least in this neighborhood - I'm only half a mile from Pt. Defiance Park.) I used to have two or three separate gangs of raccoons (numbering anywhere from three to six individuals) come through the back yard almost every night, prowling around looking for something to eat, digging up flowerpots and tipping over the birdbath. Actually really nice that they're gone.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostWed Apr 17, 2024 10:10 am 
A river of racoons at our place a few years ago.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler

Ski  GaliWalker
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Apr 26, 2024 12:14 pm 
This Cooper’s hawk was walking around the backyard today.

Anne Elk  GaliWalker
Logbear

Logbear
PostFri Apr 26, 2024 6:22 pm 
This is how we deal with bunnies on the Homestead Ranch. The bunny got away.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes

GaliWalker  Anne Elk
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Apr 27, 2024 7:07 am 
I haven't taken a photo of a bunny in our yard this year, although they are running around these days. From a few years ago:

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Logbear

Logbear
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 2:57 am 
How do coyotes meet up. The boy puts on a display, and the girl plays coy.
Putting on the display
I hear you
There you are
So they got together and now it's birth day. Nervous father
Next year birthday. Not so nervous.
Grandma (Uhura) is in the center and Grandpa (Darmok) is under the red apple tree. They're taking the grandkids to the park. The 2 under the tree are the first 2 pups from Martha (Darmok and Uhura's daughter) and Cassidy in 2021. The small pup by itself is the one surviving pup from 2022. Her brother got hit by a car.
Last year they had 3 pups and this one was a little smaller than the other 2, so this little guy got some extra time with dad to learn to hunt for frogs. Now it's time to run back to the den. It's about 1/4 mile to the den from here and that pup is going to get good workout.
Regular size pup 5-6 weeks old.
Now they're like an old married couple. She's watching her man hunt voles in the grass.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes

meck
Logbear

Logbear
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 3:06 am 
I tried to get artistic by getting the house and apple trees in the picture. I was hoping for a coyote, but I'm happy with deer.

meck
Logbear

Logbear
PostFri May 03, 2024 5:12 pm 
The apple trees were especially fragrant today.

Logbear

Logbear
PostSun May 05, 2024 12:51 pm 
No bees today. Time to thin the flower blossoms.